C152 N94838 Lives! (and other registered aircraft at Orbx airports)

CrownCityMisfit

I've come across many static aircraft during my travels to and from Orbx airports, but something inspired me to google the N-number of a certain Cessna 152 I've seen several times... C152 N948938.

Dqhmv.png

xYUT3.png

Zw4v.png

The first Google image result was that of a crumpled heap of metal beneath a few trees in the middle of a neighborhood. Soon after I discovered that this plane crashed in my area, just after takeoff at an airport I am very familiar with. Sadly, it resulted in the death of the pilot. If you are interested in reading more about this accident, and seeing photos of the wreckage, go here. Or on a lighter note, watch Ruben Garay's first solo flight in N94838.

I am posting this for a couple of reasons. First of all, I wanted to thank Orbx for including this "easter egg." I am not a pilot in real-life, but I appreciate this extra layer of aviation culture that I stumbled upon while playing FSX. Very cool.

But it begs the question... did the developers create this aircraft asset before, or after, the fatal accident? Was it intended to pay homage to the pilot? Did an Orbx developer know him? Is it just a coincidence?

I hope someone can answer this, and possibly give a little insight into how they choose which registered real-life aircraft to re-create for Orbx scenery. If I find any more notable stories behind static or AI aircraft found in and around Orbx airports, I will snap some pics and post links to the back-story in this thread.

I welcome anyone else to do the same.

• 1 month later...

Archived