Question about Country Packs

Auzy

Hello,

I'm just wondering why the next country being done is US. After all, there's already a lot of scenary already available for America, and whilst in most cases its meters in resolution from FTX, I may be wrong, but wouldn't many pilots already have purchased terrain packs (which they may be hard to convince that there is any need to change). And there are still some countries which have not been mapped at all which I'm sure pilots would love to see mapped. I'm assuming US is next because of the large number of pilots who live there?

Some examples of countries with only low res maps are New Zealand, or Indonesia. Both are quite close to Australia, so pilots could use it to either practice cross country training with high res maps the full way. Also, NZ is quite small in size, so should be an easy job to map (and only Java in Indonesia is heavily populated, so you could maybe even just do a terrain pack for that, and offer the additional scenary later), but because of New Zealands totally random terrain, NZ could produce spectacular results (and it saves me having to fly there in real life to see the scenary)

Also, it looks like the only alternative at the moment in NZ is 20M from what I can see (and unusable for VFR). Indonesia has nothing, but the only problem I see with producing terrain for indonesia is that piracy is rife there, which is probably the reason no companies will seriously put money into developing terrain for it.

Or maybe its just because my mind thinks in blocks, so I just like to picture an outgrowing circle of countries supported by FTX growing out from Australia.

it looks like the only alternative at the moment in NZ is 20M from what I can see

Auzy, it's possible you are getting FTX textures confused with elevation mesh. FTX will not ship with elevation mesh, it is a textures product only. The resolution of the textures is 1metre per pixel.

Terrain mesh for Australia is 90metres resampled to 76metres. This is true for all products except the Red Baron 20metre Vc mesh. Whilst other countries have higher mesh resolutions than we enjoy (because the Australian State Governments want to charge exorbitant fees for the data), most countries do not have terrain textures at 1metre per pixel resolution.

I am intersted in any countries packs as i fly the world on the simulator all the time,however i do agree with Auzy that maybe countries which dont have any scenery or landclasses etc to be done first. But i am also a business man and if it was my business i would be looking at what sells and what wont. However i am a strong believer in ORBX and am sure John and crew are doing there best to satisfy all fs communities.

Archived