Australian Stock routes

lthendrix

Hi Ozzies, I have an unhealthy obsession with your country. I also like motor vehicles and was finding myself apt to query weather anyone of you fine folks have done any off roading.? there are lots of pics on google earth of folkses journeys on the stock routes .any one here ever do that? or has any one been to the spot devils marbles. just bored here in California  its raining and I can here the Marine core dropping practice bombs at Camp pendelton.  wishing I was elswhere !!

Drove across the Barkly tablelands in 1972, all blacksoil and the roads had been graded over and over so it was in fact a trench, and impossible to get off it except at townships, thank the Lord we had no rain on that run.. Did the Alice- Adelaide soon after (twice) dirt most of the way, and full of deep holes covered in Bulldust so you could not see them until your car fell in them.. Tried the gunbarrel highway, but had to turn back as my vehicle (an old Nissan Patrol) was not up to it.. All terrible driving conditions, but my familly and I would not have missed it for the world. Teecee.

Wow Teecee . sounds like a fun time. I was thinking about flying some of those routes with the help of ozx and orbx of course,I have been looking into the history of these routes. there used to be alot of what some would call truck trail here in california used for the same purpose, before  the time most of all food stock began to be raised in giant feed lots and people forgot food comes from more than a grocery store or vending machine. XX

$

Archived