FTX Central - Global & NA upon re-install but no Default option

southie4

Global and North America are my only options in FTX Central.  Shouldn't I have a Default option, too?

Based on some uninstall instructions found in one of these forums, I would expect to find "Orbx"- named files in the Flight Simulator X/Scenery/World/Scenery folder.  There are none found there, although there are plenty of "PNW" files.

This is what FTX Central reports I have installed:

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 130909 9th September 2013
FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.10 September 2013
FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST V1.0 PATCH 005 March 27th 2012

FTX openLC Base Region Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC Europe Region 1 (Baltics Demo) Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC North America Region 1 Version 1.00 - September 2013

I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get this software installed properly but have been encountering problems even after uninstalling FSX and Orbx/FTX products and starting from a clean slate.

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Since you have FTX Global installed the latest version of FTX Central will show Global in place of the old Default setting. This is where you can select options such as Hybrid Mode and vector road lighting.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for responding.

The confusing part of to me is that during this multi-week ordeal of installing and uninstalling FTX Global and Pacific Northwest, I have seen notifications along the way, including directions regarding uninstalling, informing me to make sure to select Default in FTX Central before proceeding.  If Default is not displayed in FTX Central, though, I would be unable to select that option.

So, shouldn't I be seeing a Default option in FTX Central?

Thanks,

Robert

Yes, many of the older products have not had their instructions updated to make mention of the new FTX Central setup. Since Global is the new baseline default for FSX you can switch to that wherever instructions mention switching to default. It performs the same core functions of inserting entries and movings files that the old button did, the only difference is now you aren't dumped back on default FSX textures :)

Regards,

Alex

Yes, many of the older products have not had their instructions updated to make mention of the new FTX Central setup. Since Global is the new baseline default for FSX you can switch to that wherever instructions mention switching to default. It performs the same core functions of inserting entries and movings files that the old button did, the only difference is now you aren't dumped back on default FSX textures :)

Regards,

Alex

Things are starting to make sense to me but then I consider that, in 2011, Tim Harris wrote in a FAQ that:

To completely uninstall all ORBX products (useful if your suffering problems, and fixes most issues providing your basic FSX install is OK)

FIRST set FTXCentral to [Default]

- Browse to your main FSX folder, and delete the ORBX folder

- Browse to FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and delete any ORBX/NRM/PFJ/PNW/EU/NZ.. titled files

And then delete any orbx icons etc.. on the desktop

Done!  

Are those instruction also outdated as far as the file names are concerned?  I ask because I can not find any files in that folder that begin with "Orbx/". 

Thanks again,

Robert

To completely uninstall all ORBX products (useful if your suffering problems, and fixes most issues providing your basic FSX install is OK)

FIRST set FTXCentral to FTX Global[Default] untick all checkboxes and hit Apply

- Browse to FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and delete any ORBX/FTX/NRM/PFJ/PNW/EU/NZ.. titled files

Done!

FIRST set FTXCentral to FTX Global[Default] untick all checkboxes and hit Apply

- Browse to FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and delete any ORBX/FTX/NRM/PFJ/PNW/EU/NZ.. titled files

Done!

Thanks for your response , Wolter, but part of my problem, it would seem, is that I don't have a single file within that folder beginning with "Orbx/", never mind "FTX/NRM/PFJ/PNW/etc...

Robert

1.) So, if FTX Global is installed, I gather that I should definitely have files such as these ones below that are mentioned earlier in the thread:

"FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and delete any ORBX/FTX/NRM/PFJ/PNW/EU/NZ.. titled files"

Is that correct?  I ask because I have no such files.

2.) And if FTX Global and NA Pacific Northwest are installed, should I see just those two options in FTX Central or a third option - FSX Default? 

I seem to have read conflicting posts about what options I should see and was hoping for clarification.

Thanks,

Robert

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but shouldn't the person who asked the question be the one to determine if their inquiry has been answered.  In this case, it has not, as can be seen by my post ten minutes earlier.

Robert

I also now realize that the label "Answered" does not mean, "pay no attention to this post because the problem has been addressed and the poster needs no more help".  I guess I had not noticed threads that are marked "Resolved", a designation more likely to be interpreted that way.

Robert

well in case the files do not show up at the indicated location, the chance that your fsX install does not correspond with your registry entry is growing, so please check that

as for the FTX Central GUI if you have FTX Global and FTX PNW installed correctly then you should have two options, FTX Global=default and NA, when switching then please do not forget to hit the "Apply" button

Thanks for your response, Wolter.

I bought an additional drive so that I could install FSX on its own drive but things have gone downhill since then.  I uninstalled FSX from my system and then re-installed it on my new drive.

I do have those two options, and no others, in my FTX Central.

A search of my drives, however, reveals no files such as ORBX/FTX/NRM/PFJ/PNW/EU....

I can't help but wonder if I've been installing things (FTX Global, 1.10 patch, library file, UTX, NA PNW) in the wrong order.  Could that explain the lack of any files beginning with "Orbx" in FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery?

Thanks,

Robert

In your Scenery/World/Scenery folder there should be ADE files that follow the format ADE_FTX_[region]_ICAO_elevation_adjustment.BGL. Do you mean that none of these are present? One indicator that they are not present is that many airports will appear at incorrect observations.

The only way they would not be in the folder is if the installer failed to place them there, no other program should remove them. FTX Central used to switch the file types between .BGL and .OFF depending on which area was active but with FTXG they are all kept active. 

In your Scenery/World/Scenery folder there should be ADE files that follow the format ADE_FTX_[region]_ICAO_elevation_adjustment.BGL. Do you mean that none of these are present? One indicator that they are not present is that many airports will appear at incorrect observations.

The only way they would not be in the folder is if the installer failed to place them there, no other program should remove them. FTX Central used to switch the file types between .BGL and .OFF depending on which area was active but with FTXG they are all kept active. 

I have ADE files in that folder but they all start with "ADE_FTX_PNW_" and none have "ICAO" in them.

I've downloaded the FTX Global a few times but I'll make sure that exceptions are made with AV and that UAC is disabled when downloading and installing again.  I don't think that these steps were taken previously and I've since read Wolter cautioning about both of these things in other threads.

Thanks,

Robert

The ICAO is the ICAO for the corresponding airport, sorry for not clarifying that point. It sounds like the elevation adjustment files are in the correct place and active as long as they have the .BGL file extension

These files that I mention that all start with "ADE_FTX_PNW_", aren't they just Pacific Northwest files?  I have no other "ADE_FTX" files.

Archived