This is annoying me!

Adam

can someone please help me? sometimes when I start flight sim takeoff and get to my altitude my flight sim randomly crash's. Im on windows vista ultimate with UAC turned off. I thought it was the new nvidia 180.84 so i reverted back to the older ones. This is the first time in 1 week since going back.

Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000403f7, process id 0xdc8, application start time 0x01c964817ac266bf.  ???>:(

Use the NVIDIA control panel to reset your GPU settings to "performance" just to rule out any config issue with custom settings on the driver it'self.

If thats not the problem, then if you are overclocking your CPU, revert back to factory settings in the BIOS and see if that stops the crashes.

If none of that works, then i would take a look at your RAM. A failing RAM module will cause phantom crashes and blue screens! you can download a utility called memtest or if you have spare known good RAM, try swapping it over your system RAM. One a similar note, a failing power supply can also cause crashes and blue screen's.

Russ. 

Is the crash happening at a particular point in the sim or is it seemingly confined to a particular time frame when flying , as these things can help locate the primary cause. It almost sounds like you have a memory leak too which can cause these sorts of errors and they are notoriously had to track down. What you can do to help the situation to start with is go to your system settings and delete the Pagefile.sys and reboot then reinstate the Pagefile.sys (this is your swap file) and for preference set it to manually stay at 2048 Mb Min and Max size.  This can get both fragmented and make the system unstable

but why would this happend in vista not xp? And i have noticed that it has only just started after the installation of squawk box yesterday for vatsin after reformat. I'll give fsx a run now. I hope it does no happend!!!

Are you using Nvidia 7xxx series video card? I heard there was a problem with Nvidia 7xxx and running FSX in full screen mode. I have a 7600 GT SLI and get regular crashes and lock-ups - the screen freezes but the PC is still running and if you remember the keystrokes I can close/restart the PC. Apparently if you run FSX in windowed mode it does not happen. I cannot go to the options in fullscreen mode without a screen freeze.

Sqwarkbox 4 did have some issues and i am unsure if they have been fixed check there forum out and see if there is a bug located there I did have problems with it but that was on Vista Machine and hen it first came out . I havent flown online for a while so i am unsure if it is still playing up. Delete sqwarkbox fom your system and see if that fixes problem.

Shane

Archived