Late visual on PAPI (VASI)

Bugdani

Hi guys,

I don't have PAJN installed but I speculate those are likely made using "BGL lights" which are modeled lights made in gmax/3DS max where the source code from the model export has been intercepted, tweaked to add the appropriate separation plane (white vs red) for the runway's heading and glideslope, and then compiled back to the model you see in the scenery. The upside of using them is that the vasi/papi is a modeled object that looks like the real thing and the lights appear in the correct position relative to the model from all angles. The downside is that their visibility distance is never as great as the typical "Afcad" vasis/papis that float unrealistically above the ground at the default airports. There's no fix for that unfortunately, it's just the way the sim is coded. It's a tradeoff decision the developer must make, realistic looking vasi/papi objects or visibility distance, the latter being actually "the easy way out".

I was fortunate at 65S because there is a mountain that prevents you from exceeding the visibility distance of the vasi when you're in the pattern. You're forced to turn final well within the visibility distance lest you crash into the mountain! PAJN on the other hand can be approached low and flat from several miles out so the visibility distance issue is more prominent.

To quote another FS addon developer "it's a feature, not a bug" (sorta) :) .

Jim

Archived