TripleHead2Go question for anyone who uses it

tsmpaul

Hi guys, I was just wondering about the TripleHead2Go system. I'm upgrading my computer to better play FSX, and I'd love to have it on 3 monitors, and I was looking into it, and am a little confused. I'm getting a geforce 9800GT graphics card, and it says the maximum resolution available is only 2560 wide by 1600 high.

FSX needs a minumum height of 768 to run. Looking at the resolutions supported by the TripleHead2Go, the closest to the 9800GT's max width of 2560 wide is 2400 x 600 resolution. That's equal to three 800 x 600 resolution monitors. At only 600 high, FSX wouldn't run! It would need a TripleHead2Go resolution of at least 3072 x 768, but that's wider than the graphic cards' maximum width. I was told that Geforce 7, 8 and 9 series cards could use TripleHead2Go?

Does anyone out there have a geforce 9800 on a TripleHead2Go, and are playing FSX with it? Maybe I'm not understanding what the graphics card means by maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600. Is that maybe maximum resolution per monitor?

Thankyou to anyone who knows the answers!

I don't have a TH2G so I can't answer your question.

But I have another question about the device. My current resolution is 1680x1050. If I go to TH2G at say 3840x1024, will I see more image at the sides or less image at top and bottom compared with the standard widescreen? I suspect it has to be cropped top and bottom, but doesn't that mean you can see less of the aircraft instrument panel?

Greg

I'm using TH2G with a 9800x2 with no problems. I run FSX at 3840x800, I can go higher but the image distorts slightly. I wouldn't worry so much about your 9800GT resolutions it should be just fine, the magic is in the TH2G box!

John

Hi guys, I was just wondering about the TripleHead2Go system. Maybe I'm not understanding what the graphics card means by maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600. Is that maybe maximum resolution per monitor?

Thankyou to anyone who knows the answers!

G'day Tsmpaul,

My first experience with TH2Go was when I was running an 8800GTX card when they first came out, driving one 22'' screen. Not knowing anything about resolutions I just fitted the TH2Go hardware, ran the CD, and  had three 22" screens automatically running at  3840 x 1024 with no distortion, no cropping and perfect perspective across the three monitors. I used that set up for about twelve months with absolutely no difference in perspective on the centre screen than a single, just having in addition a permanent panoramic view to left and right on the side screens. The height of the display with TH2Go looked exactly the same as on a single screen.

This situation has prevailed on subsequent computers using one and two GTX280's, but view wise they are no different to my original 8800GTX with TH2Go: the 9800GT  should do the same as an 8800GTX, but I've had no direct experience with it.  ;)

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll definitely try it out!

Grumman - it adds more image to the sides, rather than squashing down from the top and bottom. It should look like this in a piper cub: I took screenshots with 1 and 2 monitors, and 'estimated' what 3 will look like. Can't see much of the airport on the right with 1 monitor. With three monitors, can see the airport buildings out the right window!

1 monitor

Posted Image

2 monitors

Posted Image

3 monitors

Posted Image

Playing with 2 monitors, it's a little annoying having the edging of the screens like a big divider in the middle of the image. On three monitors, the view straight ahead isn't blocked, as it's right in the middle of a screen. Can't wait to get TripleHead2Go! Should be great for watching the scenery while flying.

Not being an expert on these things, I'm curious to know what kind of effect one of these would have on FPS.

I've looked at it a few times before before but have ruled it out simply on the fact I don't know if my system* could handle it.

*presently an E8400 CPU, 3.5 Gb RAM and an 8800GT vid (a CPU upgrade is already planned, vid card later on)

Go to the MATROX Web site and get there little compatability tool. I run a nVidia 8800 GTS 512 @ 3840 X 1024 over 3 X 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro's comfortably but how this transpires to Wide screen Monitors I'm not sure.

Regarding the question about 4:3 ratio screens rather than 16:9 screens; the lastest iteration of the Matrox software is supposed to support the widescreens. I have used 3 22" (4:3) monitors now for over a year and love it. If I were making the install today, I would get the widescreens instead. By the way, I have been using a 30?? X 768 resolution along with a cranked up nhancer setting on a 8800GTX and get superb graphics without much reduction in fps/smoothness of display.

Kingfish

Mate,

I run 3 x22" widescreens at 3840 x 1024 and don't find any distortion.

Have been running triple head2go for some time (previously on a single Nvidia 8800 640mb card which worked just fine, too).

I cannot ever see myself flying on a single screen again. Somewhere on this forum I saw a pic where a guy is running about 7 or 8 LCD's all together. I guess he is using triple head2go and also other outlets on his various video cards.

Frank

Been running 18 months now with 3 19" Samsungs @ 3840 x 1024  powered by E4300 o/clocked to 3.4gHz and 7950GT x 2 in SLI to allow high AA etc. Works a charm. Recently ungraded cpu to E8500 clocked @ 4gHz ... no improvement to display though. On your setup TH2GO will be fine and you won't go back to 'normal' viewing I can assure you. ;D ;D

Archived