Good tutorial on overclocking?

andrew22222

Hi,

I'm not too sure how to go about over clocking a CPU. Is there any good tutorials you may have found/used on the internet? I've obviously found some of my own but they seem a little dodgy to follow. I built my latest pc so not bothered about pulling things apart.

Specs are as follows:

Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

2 X 2GB PC3 1333MHz

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n

ATI Radeon HD4800 512mb

Tuniq tower 120 Cooler

win 64

Is it worth overclocking the CPU to get more action out of FSX or simply stick with the default CPU settings and just wait for a better one to come along (at a realistic cost)

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This tutorial is a good start: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t261409.html

With your MOBO/CPU you should be able to just increase your fsb and leave everything else on auto. You may need to manually adjust your VCore when you're heading higher. The main thing is to monitor your CPU temps. Read the tutorial thoroughly and take it easy.

Remember the one golden rule on overclocking. If you can't afford to buy a new one of what you have, don't overclock.

Otherwise you'll end up with no computer at all.

I work with PC hardware as a job, and the amount of cooked CPU's I have seen in my time from a novice thinking they could go one more stepping up is quite a few.

Be very very careful if you go down this path. Ensure that you have good cooling and if you are going to increase the multipliers/voltages do it in small increments and then test it for temperatures.

Don't push them too far, or you'll be reaching into your pockets.

Personally, I buy and run what I buy at stock. I just don't have the cash to spend on buying new gear all the time.

Overclocking is not such a big deal these days.  Nvidia even produced and official overclocking guide for use with their motherboards.  If you leave the voltages at stock values its darn near impossible to damage the chip.  There's been several polls over the years on the hardware forums I contribute too asking who has damaged a chip form overclocking, and and next to no one has done so, unless they were doing something extreme or irresponsible such as removing the cooler during a benchmark run.  :D

Here's the guide by nvidia, which has excellent general info, but may be of limited use when it gets to the specific settings being its for a differant board than what you use.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

Archived