OOM errors since installing Scotland

kennedy2125

Hi All,

I know this is quite a common issue with FSX but until I installed FTX Sco I had only experienced it once and after installing an extra set of RAM the issue went away.

Since installing FTX SCO on release I have suffered the dreaded "your system is about to run out of memory" on the two flights I have made from EGPH (Edinburgh) to EGBB (Birmingham) and on each occasion as I am on short final.

I have all of UK2000 airports installed and removed the necessary FTX BGL files to remove the conflicts related to the airports.

On these flights I was using REX overdrive plus, Trackir, PMDG 737NGX but was not using any AI traffic (I sometimes use VOXATC which utilises My Traffic 2013 but didn't on these 2 occasions as I just wanted to log some hours in the plane and test the scenery!)

My settings in FSX are almost maxed out except for a few such as Autogen density (Dense), Water (High x 1), Mesh resoltion (5M) and the usual disabling of lens flare, shadows etc and I normally hit 25-30 FPS except in dense airports like EGCC and EGLL using he above addons which Iam pretty happy with.

I use Saitek Yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals, Radio panel and switch panel.

I do have UTX and GEX installed along with FS Global 2010 (not sure if I can uninstall these now as I generally only fly within ORBX regions or areas with payware scenery such as Aerosofts Balearics X) could these be causing excessive loading of textures and therfore using crucial memory.

I have done some research about the issue and it appears that FSX can only use 4gb of VAS memory which is the way windows is designed so I am assuming that I am getting close to the limit and I know the more addons you use the greater the use of this VAS memory. 

I use Windows 7 64 bit professional edition so I can use all of the memory I have.

Has anybody any ideas as to what I can do?  Will uninstalling GEX/UTX have any effect?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

The VAS is VERY well documented to be a MAJOR cause of the OOM's in FSX. Run a process explorer and watch it climb towards the 4gb ceiling. Turn down some of the settings or disabled some of the addons.

If I disable UTX/GEX will this make any difference as I do not use it in my flights across the UK or does it sit lurking underneath the gorgeous FTX scenery causing me problems?

You might have mixed something here. FSX can use MAX 4gb RAM, regardless of the amount of RAM you have! I´m not sure that VAS has anything to do with OOM:s in FSX. I let Windows handle the amount of VAS and have no problems with OOM:s and i have pretty much the same add-ons as you.

Yeah I found that out yesterday! Did not realise that that was the case.  Strange how when I added more RAM the first time it got rid of the problem unless I had inadvertently changed something else at the same time!

And Microsoft should be crucified for restricting any program RAM usage. Pity no-one has found a way around then that would solve all the problems or even a way to cleanse the memory as it has been used.

Hi,

Disable any unused scenery and turn your settings down a bit more.

This link has a few suggestions  http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

Paul

Thanks Paul.  Caught a glimpse of this article whilst doing a bit of research but did not read it in depth.  Will read it with a fine toothcomb tonight and see what it can do.  I just dont want to lose any of the quality of the scenery I have at the moment!

The VAS is VERY well documented to be a MAJOR cause of the OOM's in FSX. Run a process explorer and watch it climb towards the 4gb ceiling. Turn down some of the settings or disabled some of the addons.

Been there done that! NO change what so ever when increasing VAS over the recommended default!!!

Been there done that! NO change what so ever when increasing VAS over the recommended default!!!

You can't manually adjust the VAS, but you can reduce how much of a load you put on your system. By turning down your FSX settings or limiting your active addons you reduce the VAS usage thereby reducing the chances and occurrences of OOM's. Personally, I went the DX10 preview route as DX10 uses your videocard memory to essentially increase the available memory usage whereas with DX9 it hinders it. Haven't had an OOM since and I didn't have to turn down any settings.

You can't manually adjust the VAS, but you can reduce how much of a load you put on your system. By turning down your FSX settings or limiting your active addons you reduce the VAS usage thereby reducing the chances and occurrences of OOM's. Personally, I went the DX10 preview route as DX10 uses your videocard memory to essentially increase the available memory usage whereas with DX9 it hinders it. Haven't had an OOM since and I didn't have to turn down any settings.

How do you change to DX10?  Noticed that it is an option to use it in REX for textures.  How do I check if I am running DX10?  Pretty sure my system and Graphics card can handle it! Except for the MOBO whichI am looking to upgrade soon!

Just doing a flight now using the process monitoring tool.  Currently at 3.43gb VAS usage.  I reckon this will start to rapidly increase as I cross over Manchester (UK2000) on approach to Birmingham (also UK2000)

Thanks for all the support also.  Really given me a much better knowledge of how FSX works under the hood!  I wonder whether P3D will be any better?  But I suppose with everything having a 4gb limit it would perform just the same!

DX10 can be hit or miss for some. It will probably require some tinkering to get Antialiasing to your liking etc and some sceneries may not be compatable.

Avsim has a good guide to check out here .  I'm also unsure how well ATI cards respond to DX10 in FSX but I'm sure it's all covered in various posts in this

forum again over at avsim http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

For me, DX10 preview has given FSX a new lease on life. It may not be perfect but it's much better than it was.

DX10 can be hit or miss for some. It will probably require some tinkering to get Antialiasing to your liking etc and some sceneries may not be compatable.

Avsim has a good guide to check out here .  I'm also unsure how well ATI cards respond to DX10 in FSX but I'm sure it's all covered in various posts in this

forum again over at avsim http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

For me, DX10 preview has given FSX a new lease on life. It may not be perfect but it's much better than it was.

Thanks Dave.  Some more bedtime reading for me in the quest to get FSX perfect!

I had a couple of FSX crashes in SCO that I don't attribute to the scenery or REX (I only use ORBX/REX but I do have 4096 cloud textures for latter enabled).

Like PNW, I suspect the combination of population density, water, mountains and traffic can run FSX pretty hard.

But my crashes were all of the g3d.dll ba79f error kind.

So I got FSUIPC finally, and since its installation, NO crashes. Am also running Accufeel along with all this.

It's quite amazing, I must say.

+1 DX10 is a blast . No OOM´s  and superb scenerys outhere that supports pure FSX code and DX10. Cant wait to the final steve´s DX 10 fixer

I have good results with ATI cards and AA in FSX and DX10

Michael Moe

You might have mixed something here. FSX can use MAX 4gb RAM, regardless of the amount of RAM you have! I´m not sure that VAS has anything to do with OOM:s in FSX. I let Windows handle the amount of VAS and have no problems with OOM:s and i have pretty much the same add-ons as you.

Virtual Address Space (VAS) and virtual memory are not the same thing, you're confusing them. VAS is an allocation amount that the application requests from the operating system and is dependent on a bunch of different factors. Virtual memory is your swap file that the system uses if it runs out of physical RAM. OOMs in FSX have nothing to do with physical RAM, they happen when the FSX.exe process exceeds 4GB of virtual address space. 100% positive on this.

You can see how much VAS you're using in FSX by getting a copy of Process Explorer from the Microsoft Sysinternals website and then enabling the "Virtual Size" column. Google it.

Archived