Orbx/FTX Downloads

BizzyB

In the interest of keeping this short and sharp, I have omitted most of the background, but can provide it if it helps.

I have FSX on a 256GB SSD, which is my P: drive. (I have been told that Windows 7 will cause rapid aging of a SSD because of its frequent writes, so my OS is, (of course ?) on my C: drive, which is a partition on my HDD ).

My present problem is that after I moved all my ORBX/FTX packages to P:, FTX Central would no longer work and gave a message that it could not be found at the Registry address, even though that had indeed changed to P:.... . In an effort to fix this problem, I started deleting then re-installing ORBX/FTX scenery,first from the NZSI DVD, which is when I found that it could ONLY be installed to C:....., so I did so, then copied it to P; , but FTX Central now comes up with the dreaded "Unhandled Exception" error and a note to say that the Registry entry could not be found. None of the usual UE fixes worked, so I presume that copying NZSI from C: to P: did not bring its Registry entries with it.

So my basic question is :

1. Is it possible to download ORBX/FTX packages to a drive other than C: ? (The FSX root file is on P: but ORBX/FTX does not seem to recognise this ).

Related to this; I have been advised that FSX should not be on the same drive as the OS - is this true ?

If I was prepared to put my OS on the SSD, which would then presumably need to be C:, should/could I also have FSX on C: ?

(This is how I started out configuring the SSD, but found that while this speeded up the OS by orders of magnitude, it did not improve FSX one iota ).

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, WDC HDD 2 TB (3 partitions ), Toshiba 256GB SSD, with 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7700 Black Edition with 1 GB memory,

TIA

David

FSX can be on a drive other than C:

FTX will work normally with this configuration, indeed my FSX is, and has always been on D:

With regard to your specific problem, whilst the installer uses the FSX registry key, I'm not sure that FTXcentral does.

The problem in this case is that FTXcentral is still referencing the original location.

There may be a way to fix the reference in one of the config files (not sure) otherwise the best solution would be to follow the instructions for removing all ORBX refions and reinstall these from scratch.

Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion is pretty much what I was trying  to do:

when I saw the problem with the ORBX/FTX downloads (the original FSX seemed to survive, as did FTX_AU ), I was going to do a complete re-instal of the ORBX scenery, but decided to try NZSI first, just to make sure it would work and it didn't  !#$%^&*??!!!

NZSI was from a DVD and I couldn't find a way to change it from installing to C: and that seems to be where the problem comes from. ORBX _AU is also from a DVD and that seems to be OK.

I seem to recall that some, at least, of the downloaded scenery gave me the choice to "Browse" to a location of my choice, so that would probably be OK and might also provide a valid reference for FTX Central.

Another problem has also come up (not related to FSX or Orbx), which you might be able to help me with :

after I shifted my OS  off the SSD, I tried to delete the OS etc folders from the SSD; they disappeared from the SSD and appeared in Recycle bin, but even after I emptied the Recycle bin, none of the space they had occupied on the SSD was freed up. Do you know how  I can get rid of them completely from the SSD and free up the space ?

Cheers

David

Bizzy,

What I think you are trying to do (and correct me if I am wrong) is install FSX on one drive and FTX files on another, which will not work.  What you can do is install your entire FSX/FTX install into another drive, but to work correctly they must both be on the same drive.  So if you are installing FSX on your P: drive, then that is where you will install your FTX files also.  As long as you install FSX on one drive, FTX will find, or can be naviagated to the folder where your main FSX directory is on the same drive.  My suggestion would be for you to start from scratch from this method and make sure that when you are installing FSX that you install it to the drive you want everything on by using the custom install method once the install starts where you can choose your directory, otherwise you will continue to have these issues.

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I didn't make it clear; I have successfully moved FSX to my P: drive (SSD  and deleted it from my C; drive, but see my post above ); I can move the FTX/ORBX downloads to it (one component at a time from the FSX root file ), from C:, but I seem to lose the FTX Central references to them. The basic problem seems to be  that quite a few of the ORBX sceneries (especially on DVD) and ORBXLIBS will only install to C:, even though that is not where my FSX root file is and the registry entries appear to continue to point there after I move  the scenery material from C; to P; . If only I could download directly to P: the Registry entries would probably be OK

(As a matter of interest, I seem to be able to use the moved scenery, even though FTX Central doesn't seem to know where it is - perhaps FTX Central, wherever it is, still points to it (I have only tried it so far on AUS and NZSI )

Cheers

David

Hi David,

It appears that due to the move from C: to P: there are still some registry directions that are pointing to the wrong directories.  The only way I know how to solve that is to start from a reformatted drive from scratch to get it all to recognise from the get go.  One of our other team members may have an easier solution, but I have had similar trials over the years and that is how I have got it to work on separate drives.  Once installed fresh on a reformated drive, if your FSX is installed there, when installing ftx regions/sceneries, it should automatically install to the right directory.  Just transferring across files is a surefire way to have the issues that you are mentioning.

Thanks again Ryan,

I had come to the same conclusion and was about to start.

No flying now for a week or so (just re-formatting and re-installing the SSD is about 2 days, FSX another day, same for OZX and at least another for Orbx.   !#$%^&*??!!)

Does every one who has FSX on a separate drive have to go through this ?

Apart from the space requirement, it might be easier to leave FSX on the C: drive - what is the real problem with that ?

Pity Orbx didn't have "Browse" for where to instal to on all their products.

Cheers

David

Been there done that many times mate, I've had 5 systems since the FS bug bit me with each having multiple reformats for reshuffles and general cleanups.  You can by all means keep FSX on C:  I move it myself to another drive just purely due to space.  I like to have all of my FSX/FTX/Addons on one drive for ease of use and IMHO, it works faster on my system that way for load times as I have very little on the C: drive so it can just run the OS and some other small programs.  But not everyone has 6 hard disk drives in their system either lol.  My system is set out like this

C: = 60GB SSD just for OS, Video editing software

D: = DVDRW

E: = 128 GB SSDFSX/FTX/REX/other FS software addons

F: = 250 GB 7800 RPM standard photo and video backups plus other installs/programs that run from shortcuts on C:

G: = 1TB 7800 RPM standard Backup drive containing all FTX files, dev files etc

H: =  750 GB 7800 RPM Standard backup drive, contains image of main OS and E drive in case of crash and more backup files

Ideally I would love to have a 256GB SSD for FSX/FTX, but until the prices come down I'll stick with the 128

Archived