How do you work out 'decision height'?

Vonduck

decision height is the point where you decide to abort your landing i.e.. the safe point to where a go around is safe as the visual reference for landing has not been acquired. I set 200 AGL on the radar as for the Charts I cant remember as it has been to many winters since I have used charts in RL I found this site it may answer your query http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Aerodrome_Operating_Minima

The information is in the approach plate for the runway you wish to land on, depending on the type of aircraft and equipment at the airport decides the decision hieght, it should be in the vertical profile information section of the chart.

Some airports might require a higher decision hight due to obstacles in the area or if the airport requires a non precision approach.

MDA (Minimum Descent Altitude) is what you find at the bottom of NDB, VOR and RNAV charts. That is the minimum altitude you can descend to. For an ILS, they use the DH (Decision Height), when you get to it, you must decide to continue or make a missed approach, during which, you may descend through it.

My company sets the DH bug to 150 for an ILS and 300 for a NPA. Purely as a another "barrier" we should be visual or in a missed approach by that stage.

Generally speaking an ILS will get you down to around 300ft, where as a NPA will be around 500 or higher.

Archived