Airport upgrades with FTX Northern Rockies

skipjack

Good day,

I note that the intro on the FTX Northern Rockies that have been 360 (from memory)  Airport upgrades.

However I noticed that CYYC  Calgary Airport seems to be the same as FSX default, also  with no Static Aircraft , vehicles etc.

Could you confirm for me that this the case,  or maybe I have an installation problem with this Airport, or others.

I have previously installed latest Library's with another purchase ie FTX Southern Alaska .

Every else  re: scenery is fine.

Regards,

Stewart Thompson

PC Aviator invoice No  37765A

CYYC airport does not appear to have been upgraded. Being a large airport, I would not expect any

Orbx  treatment on that one. About 450 airstrips were enhanced, though. I wish they'd list them in the

documentation. Maybe I missed it?

Dave

Hi Stewart and Dave,

All the airports within the NRM region area that existed in default FSX have been 'enhanced', as well as a bunch of unlisted strips, use the supplied Google Earth KML to see these (plus there is a written list in the flight plan section http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/42-flight-plans/ )

'Enhanced' means the airport boundary area has been hand-drawn to match the real world airport (instead of the lifeless green rectangles seen in default FSX), plus most buildings have been placed using our generic Orbx libraries to also match the real world locations

The main reason we started fixing up the default airports in a predominantly terrain based product was the fact that the rectangular default airport backgrounds detracted from the overall experience greatly, and most airports (as seen in the recent FSglobal/FSgensis mesh threads) also end up on plateaus or holes due to the much higher resolution mesh we use, which requires an immense amount of work to adjust the terrain surrounding the airports especially when you are doing 350+, my hat goes off to Neil for this!

The larger INTL sized airports such as Calgary we do not touch much except to blend the airport into the terrain, we also like to leave 'possibilities' open for proper full-blown custom airports, either by us or a 3rd party

Just to clarify if anyone is unsure still, FTX region packs should not be considered 'airport' products, but terrain products, its just by a stroke of luck you get some airport upgrades included :)

Regards

Tim

(NRM lead)

P.S always happy to confirm anything if your ever unsure of a successful installation

OK Thanks Tim,

That has cleared that up , ..it just that some FTX region scenery  Ive noticed  has upgrades ie Cardiff  in FTX Wales  included   & PAJN , PAVD included  in SAK Southern Alaska for example.

But yes I do have  also  PAKT KETCHIKAN which is a separate FTX add on as well, ...   as you mentioned above to leave open for further upgrades.

Regards,

Stewart T

A lot of it comes down to imagery cost, in the US there is a plentiful supply of cheap imagery which we can bulk purchase and is why we are able to provide a lot of photoreal insets with the US areas, go across the border into Canada or Australia and its a very different story

Cardiff was included with Wales to add value due to the smaller size of the region area (in comparison to the other regions)

Another factor is time/money of which there are always limits, the US region team numbers about 6-7, and within the given region areas its sometimes mindboggling how many airports/POI and other features there are to cover (or band-aid), so each region pack provides a little bit of something different

Regards

Tim

Right,     that's fair enough then, & a clear explaination of the limitations involved . I'll will be certainly looking forward to new Projects, whether they are Nth Sth America,  Europe or else where.

Hopefully in the future FTX might extend below PNW  to Southern Californian as south as say San Diago  ( Sorry about spelling).. if that terrain looks interesting? ... although I shudder  to think  about about including a detailed  KLAX. region.

While  I'm here  could go on an request some new APT's in my home state of QLD say YBSU, YBCG  or even Darwin which would be good, ( I do have the excellent Broome, )

But anyway that's other topic.

Thanks,

Stewart

Archived