Can't install Lancair

DLRK

FSS0215156

When I try to install the airplane from the FSS wrapper, the installer closes after hitting next on the ready to install screen on the installer. This is extremely frustrating. Please respond ASAP.

I just compared the MD5 listed on FlightSimStore's download screen with the actual download, and neither matches. I've tried every mirror offered by FSS, with no improvement.

Thanks for finally replying.I have indeed deleted all previous zips, and my temporary folder, however it appears I may have misread the MD5. I have now confirmed that the file I have is correct, however the install still fails as previously stated, after clicking next on the ready to install page.

Hi again,

Lets get some more info:

- Have you got FSX+SP1+SP2 or FSX+Acceleration installed?

- Have you moved the FSX folder after installing?

- And are you unzipping the Lancair installer first and then running the installer as per instructed?

FSX+ Acceleration

FSX Folder has not been moved, registry fix has been checked.

Yes. The folder includes the wrapper and a read me first file.

Thanks.

I am using Win 7, if it helps

Roger that,

Assuming you have installed into the default location in Windows7 (program files) you'll be subjected to higher security when installing addons, try running the installer as an administrator, to do this right-click on the installer and select "run as admin"

You may also want to temp disable your Antivirus software as this can sometimes interfere with FSX addon installers

Failing the above I'll have to ping Adrian or Jaykae to assist on this one

It's obvious from your description of the problem that the unwrapping isn't the issue, since the product installer does unwrap and is executed. My fear would be even with an unwrapped installer you'll end up with the same result. I will leave it to the Orbx crew to either continue to work with you on the issue or authorise the refund request. If the later I'll have it actioned as soon as I am given the word.

Usually if there is an issue with the wrapper or installer you'll get errors before being able to execute it. The only thing that could cause that is a corrupt download, but if the byte count and MD5 values of what you have downloaded match those shown on the download page you have a good file and there must be another reason that the installer is exiting.

Come to think of it some of these may include: FSX folder not found by the installer, insufficient disk space to install the product. Check on disk space available on the FSX drive and perhaps try running the registry fix utility found on the support page of the Orbx website to ensure that your FSX SetupPath registry entry is correct.

Right at the bottom of the page: http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html

That could quite well be the issue actually, is your install of FSX on the same hard drive as your Operating system?

1.5GB is really not very much free space, it might be worth freeing up some space (at least 3-5GB of headroom)

When an installer unwraps and installs it first of all takes up the space of the installer, then unwraps another of that same amount to the temp folder, then moves that amount into the FSX folder, normally you need at least 3 times the size of the installer, f.e PNW the region pack requires about 12GB of free space to unwrap and install

I'll try freeing up some more space, but is there any chance I could get an unwrapped version? I've got FSX on the same drive as my OS which is 50GB SSD, so I don't have much space. Since there was no information on the website to the contrary, I assumed that I wouldn't need more space than was actually required.

An unwrapped version still requires the same amount of space as far as I know

For example, to just unzip something you need 2 x the space, but to unzip and install you need 3 x the space (the original zip, the installer, and the installed copy)

I cleared up 3 gigs, and it works now. However, I am very frustrated that neither FTX/ORBX or FSS provided any indication that this much space was needed. It was my assumption that no more than one gigabyte would be needed, given that the download was roughly 400MB(3*4=1200).

I  would appreciate it if some sort of advisory was placed on the website.

Hi mate, really glad to hear its resolved!! 8)

The 'free space' counter in windows is not always truly accurate, there might be other hidden services or files that may be active at the time that could nibble away

I'll ask Adrian or Jay to maybe add a note to remind customers of the unwrapping space requirement, this is a good idea

Cheers

Tim

Archived