Pacific Northwest Woes

Tom Cooper

Hope someone can help, please. I have read all the FAQ but cannot find reference to my problem.

I have recently purchased and downloaded ORBX Pacific Northwest for FSX from the Flight Sim Store.

All seems to have gone well re the download. Went through the installation procedure and all went well with that.FTX Central opened automatically and I clicked to activate the North America area.

That's where I got the following: Unhandled Exception. Could not find a part of the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\default xml".

I have tried clicking continue, but just get the busy circling icon forever. If I close FTX Central and then re-open it, the North America region is ticked as activated. However there is no sign of it when I run FSX. Incidentally, the NA region is ticked next time also if I click the "Quit" button after the Unhandled Exception.

I have checked the FSX folder and can find as far as the ORBX\Scripts folder but there is no \Backup\default xml - and it also does not appear to be a hidden file.

A check of the ORBX folder shows that all the scenery and texture files seem to be present.

When I check the FTX Central Reports, it shows that the following are installed: FTX AA Orbx libraries ver 100222 February 2010, FTX NA PNW Pacific Northwest v 1.0 Patch 005 March 27th 2012.

A check of the FSX scenery library shows no sign of any of the ORBX content.

I have repeated all the above with a clean install of FSX with SP's 1&2 and also with and without the FSX Acceleration Expansion Pack.

Has anyone any ideas, please?

Order no. FSS0210968 refers

Hi Tom,

not sure what's gone wrong, but if the files are there check the folder ....Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\ and add attached file to it that should do it, also make sure to run the installer you right click the exe and select Install as Administrator and have your User Account Control disabled, to add to that make sure your AV scanner is excluding fsX from it's continuous scanning.

default.zip

Hi Wolter

First let me thank you for your prompt reply, which appears to have got me over 1 hurdle!

I created a folder named Backup in the \ORBX\Scripts folder and unzipped your default file into it. I then ran FTX Central and it seemed to work in that I got a chiming sound and no Unhandled Exception.

I then checked the FSX Settings - Scenery Library within the sim and at Priorities 1-5 above Add-on scenery(6) were the following:FTAA_ORBXLIBS, FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY, FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX, FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH, FTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM.

However I still cannot gain access to the scenery within the sim. When I try to change my start location for a Free Flight the ORBX material just isn't there - even when I click the Add-on scenery button rather than staying with the default scenery.

As an aside, (and this may be completely irrelevant)when I try to open FTX Aero FSX (that I have no idea what it does) I now get Unhandled Exception." Could not find file C;\Program Files (x86)\...\..\Scripts\Aero\ftx_aero.xml".

I do not know if this has any relevance at all to my failure to access the ORBX scenery within the sim.

I would welcome any further assistance - it seems as if I am so close, but cannot make the last step.

Thanks - Tom

Wolter

SUCCESS!!!

In fairness it was probably successful last night after I used your default file - but I was too stupid to implement it properly. The bonus is that I now have the new library files as well.

I must say that the scenery is very impressive - everything that I had read about.

The upshot is that I will now purchase more ORBX North American areas and small airfields (my favourite type of flying).

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance - without it I would have given up and missed out on these stunning graphics.

Keep up the good work

Best regards - Tom

Archived