Upgrade advice request

Sinamuab

I currently have an i7 920 which does not like to be overclocked. I can get it to run at 4Ghz sometimes and then on start up I get Overclock failed. :'(

So, I think that an i7 3770K would be a good next step.

Question: There are many motherboards that will accommodate this chip which range greatly in price, all I want is a board that

will allow me to overclock reliably, so do I need an expensive MB or will a middle of the road one do?

Next, I currently have a GTX 480, if I were to upgrade my MB and CPU, do I really need to upgrade the GPU since FSX is CPU reliant?

Any other advice will be gratefully received.

Hi

I have just upgraded to the i7 3770k 3.5Ghz and I bought the ASUS P8Z77 Pro MoBo and it OC to 4,0Ghz out of the box and I have subsequently increased it to 4.5Ghz, so would recommend as it it running sweet with my GTX480 (and yes you can see a difference in FPS etc.)

Hang on to your money.

The 4770 cpu's (Haswell) are due out very soon.

If you are not interested in them, then the 3770's will drop down dramatically, so you'll save some money.

And I personally swear by Asus mobo's. Been using them for longer than my children have been alive and never had a bad one yet.

They make a budget board (100 odd dollars) through to top end (400-500 bucks), so there is plenty of choice. Just head over to their website.

Frank

Archived