Squeeze more frames out of YMML?

dogdoor

Hello,

Just wondering if the techo's here have any thoughts on squeezing some more frames out of my system.

I am toying with upgrading my cpu to something gruntier than my Q6600.

My board specs are here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2665

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32bit)

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model X38-DQ6

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F9F, 7/30/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB

Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Thanks in advance!

I forgot to mention - any advice on which cpu and what the board is capable of taking - in terms of max capacity cpu would be great. Bang for buck, etc,etc

• 6 months later...
Guest volcom1720

This would be a very useful thread for me, found it in the search engine. It's a shame someone hasn't replied. I know they're all busy but. Maybe someone who doesnt work for Orbx could reply?

Don't worry if you don't have enough time though guys.

;)

Well I have *similar* specs to yours (with my CPU and GPU being the downfall, see my sig) and get roughly between 7-15 fps around YMML. However even though these sound quite low, it runs fairly smooth and is very flyable. There's none of those large hiccups every few seconds that others seem to get. Was talking with Butch last night and he also recommended to overclock the CPU, as FSX relies on your CPU clock speed, no matter how many cores there is (From what I've heard a Dual Core at 3Ghz will beat a Quad Core which is in the mid 2Ghz range).

Tom :)

P.S. BTW this post is directed at Volcom, but I guess dogdoor could use it too...

Guest volcom1720

Well I have *similar* specs to yours (with my CPU and GPU being the downfall, see my sig) and get roughly between 7-15 fps around YMML. However even though these sound quite low, it runs fairly smooth and is very flyable. There's none of those large hiccups every few seconds that others seem to get. Was talking with Butch last night and he also recommended to overclock the CPU, as FSX relies on your CPU clock speed, no matter how many cores there is (From what I've heard a Dual Core at 3Ghz will beat a Quad Core which is in the mid 2Ghz range).

Tom :)

P.S. BTW this post is directed at Volcom, but I guess dogdoor could use it too...

Thanks got a little snapshot  8)

Dogdoor,

I agree with others............overclock the Quad. I was able to easily bump my 2.4 quad up to 3.2 mhz. That's a 33% increase in cpu speed and I think that I received a 33 % increase in FSX performance.  Just a thought.

Kingfish

Thanks for the albeit belated feedback, alas too late. I installed a q9650 a fortnight ago. Did a full uninstall and reinstall on vista 64 ultimate.

Next stop 2 x velociraptors and windows 7.

I had the Q6600 running at 3mhz for a while, but then the jaggies and anomolies started surfacing

Archived