Extremely Poor Performance & CTD's

DetCord

Having picked up FTX England recently, I'm running into some atrocious performance issues, blurry textures, long load times for textures, and CTD's. Now, these issues were not present prior to installing any Orbx product, to include the CTD. I did have GEX and UTX installed, however, I disabled them prior to launching FSX and the FTX terrain. I have not edited the config file in anyway, just FYI on that.

PC Overview

i7 Extreme Edition 3970X @ 4.6Ghz

16GB DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz Corsair Dominator

Nvidia GTX 680

FSX installed on my SSD

CTD Error/Application Crash Report

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61637.0

Application Timestamp: 46fadb14

Fault Module Name: g3d.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb58

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000ba79f

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 1033

Average frame-rate prior to Orbx installed (addons in use: REX, GEX, UTX, Traffic 360)

Posted Image

Average frame-rate following Orbx instillation (addons in use: REX, FTX Eng, Traffic 360)

Posted Image

I understand the terrain is of high quality, but this massive of a performance hit is just way too drastic. If anyone can address the CTD and these texture issues, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gidday there mate,

There was a thread that a decent chap provided that explained the cause of these most common errors... heres the comments about the error you are experiencing...

G3D.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

G3d.dll is the three-dimensional portion of the graphics engine used in Flight Simulator. It contains the BGL interpreter for Flight Simulator. Because of the exception code, (0x000005), FSX is calling for a texture or scenery item, and cannot find it, so FSX is crashing. Users have most often reported G3D.DLL errors while around ORBX areas.

FIX: Luckily, Pete Dawson has provided a solution to G3D.DLL crashes. Because so many addons are dependent on Fsupic, the newest version (Above 4.858) provides a fix for g3d.dll crashes when installed. Although a registered version of FSUIPIC is not required for the G3D.dll crash, one will benefit greatly from purchasing. Current versions of FSUIPC can be found here" http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

If you are still getting G3D.dll crashes, it is most likely a corrupt installation of a scenery or aircraft, and a simple re-install usually provides a solution.

According to your PC specs you shuold have top performance but without knowing your settings etc its hard to comment...anyrate, try the suggested comments above and see if ithelps

Regards

Gidday there mate,

There was a thread that a decent chap provided that explained the cause of these most common errors... heres the comments about the error you are experiencing...

G3D.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

G3d.dll is the three-dimensional portion of the graphics engine used in Flight Simulator. It contains the BGL interpreter for Flight Simulator. Because of the exception code, (0x000005), FSX is calling for a texture or scenery item, and cannot find it, so FSX is crashing. Users have most often reported G3D.DLL errors while around ORBX areas.

FIX: Luckily, Pete Dawson has provided a solution to G3D.DLL crashes. Because so many addons are dependent on Fsupic, the newest version (Above 4.858) provides a fix for g3d.dll crashes when installed. Although a registered version of FSUIPIC is not required for the G3D.dll crash, one will benefit greatly from purchasing. Current versions of FSUIPC can be found here" http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

If you are still getting G3D.dll crashes, it is most likely a corrupt installation of a scenery or aircraft, and a simple re-install usually provides a solution.

According to your PC specs you shuold have top performance but without knowing your settings etc its hard to comment...anyrate, try the suggested comments above and see if ithelps

Regards

Fellow Kiwi, eh! Don't get the opportunity to speak to that many here in the States.

Anyhoo mate, I did a goggle search on the DLL in question and came across a lot of AVSim posts, however, they all seemed to be dead links. So thanks for the direct link to the page. I'll run through the process of getting it installed.

In the meantime, here is a quick screen of my settings.

Posted Image

Fellow Kiwi, eh! Don't get the opportunity to speak to that many here in the States.

Anyhoo mate, I did a goggle search on the DLL in question and came across a lot of AVSim posts, however, they all seemed to be dead links. So thanks for the direct link to the page. I'll run through the process of getting it installed.

In the meantime, here is a quick screen of my settings.

Posted Image

LOL! Small planet eh bro!!

Ok.. as an initial suggestion (and i appreciated you have a screaming PC) pit your settings in the box above to the recommended settings by ORBX and give it a shot then.... I can honestly say when autogen is lowered you will see a difference and when you are flying you wont even notice if 2 or 3 houses are gone or a few trees here and there...your frames will go up...

Now... what are your NVidia inspector settings as well? There are a few .cfg tweaks to apply (not many as one can get carried away with tweaking and not flying!!) to get the beast sailing smoothly which is the aim...frames are irrelivant if the sim is smoooth

Cheers

The pdf pretty much reiterated what my current settings are, or should be according to hardware specifications. That said, I lowered them anyway and the FPS did increase, though rather minimally. Textures seem to stream in very slowly at times, and I'm still having performance issues. The frames vary inconsistently - from the high 80's down to the unplayable.

EDIT - The FSUIPC download fixed the CTD. Cheers!

Have to say this is pretty unacceptable.

Posted Image

Texture streaming is still an issue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

to add to the topic, I's lower the water settings to 2x Low, set the mesh complexity to 100 and set the mesh resolution to 5m pull the Autogen density slider to half for the moment for testing and than inch it up a notch at the time to find the sweetspot.

atm I'm not at home, I'll post up a screenie for the nVidia Inspector settings

Here are my inspector settings for you to try... Wolter's may be better so see what he has as well... theres no reason your machine shouldnt run FSX well with ORBX as many lesser machines do...just a matter of us working through things eh!

Posted Image

Well I figured it out... It was on my end the entire time. I tweaked the Traffic 360 options and never saved them. So, it was T360 that was causing all of the problems, not the Orbx terrain.

I'm an idiot.

Archived