Want to be sure I'm uninstalling Freeware Airports correctly

FleetingThought

Hello,

I am running PNW surprisingly well on a 32-bit, WinXPSP3 Core2Duo machine, with two additional payware airports installed (Anacortes and 74S2).

I recently got ambitious and downloaded/installed all the PNW Freeware airports as well.

I suspect my poor machine is running out of VAS now, as the textures around KSEA (runway 34R specifically) have gone blurry (fixed, I think, by installing the 005 PNW patch over my original install, and then latest FTXORBXLIBS, though I'd originally downloaded and installed the 005/latest version in my original install.....?).

What I want to do is simply remove the freeware airports closest to Seattle. I've read elsewhere how to go through a) setting to Default; B) deleting the ORBX/subfolders for the freeware airports; c) running FTXConfigurator.exe (is that correct? Is it inside FTX Central? I'm away from my computer at the moment).

I want to make sure, minor details, that the .PDFs and freeware airport sub-configurators are removed as well from FTX Central. Will deleting the appropriate files in the Scripts folder do the trick?

Thank you; enjoying FTX terrain immensely (new to it, last month), and understand my responsibilities to make it work in my environment. :)

Longer-range goal is to be able to install/uninstall airports, depending on what effect they might have in dense regions, reliably, to get to the best mix on my system.

Well, took the chance last night to uninstall 2S1, including scripts and documentation, with a hit on FTXConfigurator.exe afterwards (not clear on whether to do that with NA selected in FTX or Default, so did both): made a little difference, but not much -- I think the main problem is the Carenado SR-22 with both PFD and MFD on is just a resource beast, so I'll save it for tootling around Anacortes instead.

Reinstalled it as Vashon looks so much better with! And I felt less nervous about missing .dds files, redundant files, etc. since I'm not exactly clear on whether anything outside the ORBX folders gets added to the /Scenery folder or not.

So, final question without my previous one being answered: can you just tick an airport on/off in the Scenery Library within FSX (i.e. not using FTX Central) without any problems? In other words, leave it installed but just not "compiled" at startup with indexes and scenery database so it's not loaded?

My goal is simply to have some reliable control over memory fill upon load, without starting to leave trails of software debris and tears in the FSX architecture in the process.

If I'm asking in the wrong forum, please let me know, thanks!

I do notice that the area that is blurry/"off-road" on the roads near runway 34L at KSEA remains so, have tried changing the texture resolution settings between 5cm (recommended by ORBX) and 2cm, which FSX says increases resolution on roads, but that doesn't seem to be making any difference. I'm hoping it's just a question of either a) optimization for better resolution around the airport; B) my system simply not keeping up with the texture streaming in the area; rather than c) some kind of issue with textures being pulled from the appropriate place around KSEA with PNW installed. Please, someone, let me know if c) is a possible issue and whether there's something I can do about it if so.

I'm assuming the typical install sequence is a) PNW original; B) PNW patch; c) airports; d) ORBXLIBS latest. I'm _guessing_ that reinstall of B) PNW patch (005) does not require reinstall of c) or d) again afterwards, but am not sure at this point. Never hurts to reinstall ORBXLIBS again as well, I'm _guessing_. I would love a little useful info that would increase my certainty on these points.

Ok thank you, Wolter.

For my KSEA "traffic roads on the approach to 34L" issue: (note that vehicles seem to drive up the mesh and the road is very blurry/unclearly defined in this area) -- I think I just need to know whether order of install could be a factor. In other words, I have 2S1 installed; I reinstalled PNW Patch 005 after that; then ORBXLIBS latest after that.

Is that the correct order? I'm just wanting to make sure I have the intended textures/meshes in this area installed properly. Thanks in advance.

Yes, thank you again -- I'm also cautious enough to also start up FSX, let it load, then exit normally in Default mode, then do the same again after switching to NA with FTX afterwards.

As with all spectacularly good add-ons, there's a learning curve, and I'm becoming more confident on how to handle it all. While I've been intimate with Flight Simulator for literally decades, I've never risked playing around with the Scenery Library aspect of it, until now.

Yes, thank you again -- I'm also cautious enough to also start up FSX, let it load, then exit normally in Default mode, then do the same again after switching to NA with FTX afterwards.

As with all spectacularly good add-ons, there's a learning curve, and I'm becoming more confident on how to handle it all. While I've been intimate with Flight Simulator for literally decades, I've never risked playing around with the Scenery Library aspect of it, until now.

ORBX is so good I'm literally considering building myself a new computer to run it optimally sometime in the near future! :)

Archived