White Roof Tops in Australia - what is the fix?

fltsimguy

So, I haven't flown in Australia in a long time. I use Central to switch to Oceania. I load up a flight in Western AU.

I find that I have tons of houses with white roofs. Odd. I haven't done anything to my setup to deserve this problem. I have been a very good boy and followed all the usual and appropriate protocols.

The only changes I made are installing more Orbx scenery, regional ENG and Spokane Felts.

I exit FSX, and open Central again. Switch to default, then back to Oceania. And check again, more white roofs.

What causes this. Please advise me on the possible fix.

Screenies.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gday Brian,

What your seeing is actually correct, most (colorbond/tin) roofs in the hot parts of Australia are white or at least a very light color, this helps the roof avoid soaking up too much heat during the day, some further reading is found here regarding this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflective_surfaces_%28geoengineering%29

In FSX, Orbx has represented this quite well throughout AU_Gold, AU_Green and AU_Red

I'll add a note though that any ENB tends to wash out the roofs a bit

Cheers

Tim

Gday Brian,

What your seeing is actually correct, most (colorbond/tin) roofs in the hot parts of Australia are white or at least a very light color, this helps the roof avoid soaking up too much heat during the day, some further reading is found here regarding this http://en.wikipedia....geoengineering)

In FSX, Orbx has represented this quite well throughout AU_Gold, AU_Green and AU_Red

I'll add a note though that any ENB tends to wash out the roofs a bit

Cheers

Tim

This is helpful. I saw so many what appeared to be texture less roofs that I thought that they were missing textures.

True, I have flown most of AU_Blue and not done much flying in the the red zone so perhaps didn't notice this before.

And, I do have ENB settings that might also cause some washout of roofs.

Thanks for getting back to me on this non-problem.

No problems Brian, I can understand why it might look odd as I recall the wiki page mentioned 90% of the world has dark roof color palettes!

I have worked on many a roof job, and they are quite draining to work on as you spend most of the time being dazzled by the intense reflection, and you also get sun-tanned in places you shouldn't ::)

Cheers

Tim

Heck I remember roofing my own house here in BC and the one thing I did support afterwards is a gorgeous tan, then envy of any good tourist in Hawaii. Also I was a lot younger and could get away without wearing a shirt. Today - not so much.

Another thing I noticed was that I have a new 40" LED monitor and it is very bright, I need to tone down the gamma and other settings some to stop the total bleaching out of the white roofs.

Archived