KORS Orcas Island; Crazy Windsocks

ramonb

Hello, I just bought KORS.

Selected FTX North America -> Installed KORS -> Switched FTX to Default -> then NA, installed KORS Patch 115, Switched FTX to Default -> then NA. Then reinstalled PNW Patch 005 as instructed in the KORS installer, rebooted PC and switched FTX again. Finally installed the latest ORBX libraries FTXORBXLIBS_121223.

Went to check out KORS and was amazed at the quality of the airport, people flow and surrounding scenery.

But the Windsocks are acting weird. They shimmer and moves in a crazy fashion.

All 3 windsocks act in the same way. (center and the ones close to the runway ends)

I should point out they act strangely when there is minor turbulence (even if wind is 0 Kts); only acts normal when wind conditions are disabled or surface wind is <16 Kts and no gusts or other wind conditions.

I checked other PNW airports I got and their windsocks act just fine under same wind/weather conditions.

I repeated the install procedure 2 more times but to no avail.

I'm posting a picture to get location of central windsock, and a link to a video to see it in action

Please see the VIDEO LINK, (Sorry about the plane position!!)

Posted Image

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

OK, spent a couple hours on this and it’s not a KORS or ORBX lib problem.

it also happens on several nearby airports I tried, like Friday Harbor, 38WA Blakely, etc.

The issue is an incompatibility with a file(s) from the OZx_Lib, but I don’t know which one.

If any OZx guru knows, please help!

Cheers.

Hello

Ok, I found the culprit file; it’s icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl under OZx\OZx_LIB\Scenery.

That BGL contains 14 FS9 windsock objects/ models.

@Wolter, Yes I did. Started by disabling the OZx_LIB scenery entry, and then found the file.

Rolf, a temp workaround I found is to rename icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl to icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl.OFF,

but then lose windsocks on OZx sceneries until a solution is found. (don't know if other problems could arise)

I have no knowledge if converting those FS9 models to FSX will work, and don’t want to mess with it nor with copyrights.

So what can be done to fix that?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I reported this problem 15 days ago, and also posted at OZx. But still no support answer to the problem.

I discovered that disabling the icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl file solves the problem, but I consider it an inappropriate solution.

Is there any other way to correct this?

Any answer is welcomed.

Thanks

Hello Heiko, and thanks for your response.

There are no *KORS* or *Orcas* files in the OZx or RTMM folders in my installation.

I already found the conflicting file for KORS, it is icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl from the OZx library and disabled it days ago.

In light of recent events at WA60 Wax Orchards I tend to believe that the problem is caused by the ORBX Orbxlibs_airport_objects.bgl library file.

Please see WA69 Wax Orchards, Faulty Windsocks (Posted yesterday, and moved to Freeware Support)

Here is the problem:

• KORS Orcas scenery uses the windsocks from Orbxlibs_airport_objects.bgl, and somehow if icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl is enabled KORS and surrounding airports windsocks flutter.
  • WA60 Wax Orchards also uses the windsocks from Orbxlibs_airport_objects.bgl and its windsocks flutter even when icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl is disabled or removed.
What baffles me is: Why the windsocks at KORS and surrounding airports flutter when icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl is active? (AFAIK they are not referenced in you KORS scenery) and now, even when that file is removed the windsocks at WA69 Wax Orchards also fail.

Lastly; removing the icr_fsdev_wsock_LIB.bgl file leads to more problems as FSX will probably fail when it tries to load the missing windsocks contained within and also all the sceneries from OZx and RTMM that use them will miss the windsocks.

BTW: You did a wonderful work on KORS Airport, and the nearby Orcas are great eyecandy.

Cheers.

Hello Heiko

I'll post the BGL file here as soon as I figure a way to upload it.

Check your PM, I sent you a link.

In the meantime, here are the GUID's (from a txt file that comes with it)

# Generated with Library Maker

0D6EE40041739BAB3477CF9F048EBFA0 windsock_orange_lighted

5E9BA0034BDCB77342B4A9B03760FCED windsock_yellow_lighted

44581E294692AF3345102DAD9937050E windsock_green_lighted

23A943624810C6656A1D488D0314A202 windsock_striped_lighted

E1DF74714C20A784D5A16084B6A2199D windsocp_lighted

4507329246673CBAF7E5E2BEE14A9C02 windsock_white

8D59B8A44D19341DC90A189424426078 windsocr_lighted

437176A54F35A2BF96747DB0B26DB938 windsock_white_lighted

7773BEB142CB79C350BC8B935A12AFCC windsock_orange

CBA824BA47E4719CD37DC591D23946CB windsock_pink

2C0711C143B4EA63A891A893B5A7C55E windsock_green

D9B261E24E14DD6A1E5E6380A956397E windsock_striped

94A80BF548BDEC4389A03E8C08A23558 windsock_yellow

79B447F745A0B8ED3F30059B54B6BFDB windsock_red

The OzX wind socks do not use the same GUID as the ORBX ones.

You will have to take my word on this, as I created the GUIDs and variants for the OZx socks, and I created animated and coded the FTX ones.

Removing the Icr FSdeveloper library will simply remove the library objects, and hence they will not appear.

I am not sure how stringently you tested this, but it makes little sense that the presence of these library objects would cause other unrelated objects to flutter.

The flickering of windsocks is a longstanding FSX bug under certain weather conditions, and to some extent randomly.

I understand FSUIPC has a wind smoothing function which may be of help.

The only interaction between FSX wind animated objects that has been documented, is that you need more than one in frame, or they do not animate at all. This could possibly lead you to feel the fluttering is solved when it is simply that the animation is broken.

I suspect, however, it is more likely the result of restarting the sim and slightly different weather conditions.

Incidentally, the new FSX native method of rotating objects to wind direction also suffers from flicker; it is inherent in the FSX engine.

Archived