Air Traffic Control interaction

Chandy

I know this has been raked over many times however I wish to raise it again. I have used, and still use, different ATC programs but what FSX is screaming out for, I believe, is a program you can use to communicate by voice with a wider range of AI voices that currently exists in the current programs available. Each of the current programs have their good side, including the native ATC but for added realism I believe we need something a tad better.

We have got just about everything we could wish for in the simulator hardware and software field but we are still living in the dark ages with what FSX offers as native AI, and what most add-on ATC programs fail to provide. I am grateful for that which the developers have given us with ATC programs but I feel we have just stopped dead in the water and don't look like going any further in this direction. I know I will probably draw fire here but, regardless, my point is a valid one from where I sit.

Are any developers currently looking at expanding our horizons in this area? I understand there may be some difficulties but are they insurmountable? It would be so nice to hear say an Australian accent, or other accents in appropriate areas, with whom you can communicate using a headset mic without any need to press keys or click on response choices on the screen.

I am aware of virtual ATC networks and such but the stand-alone side of flying the simulator is where the majority of people no doubt fly, given the limitations associated with virtual ATC programs (down-times, time differences, connections and so-on).

Regards,

John G

Yes, speech recognition. There are add-on programs that do this and that's what I am inferring to, not a new simulator with this feature embedded (although that would be nice for some time down the track!). I would like to see an add-on program that allows us to have a fairly wide range of voices and accents you would find in different places of the world instead of Microsoft Mary, Michelle etc. or whatever other computer generated voices there are out there.

One program I occasionally employ has the robotic-like AI voice (Michelle etc) and allows me to communicate via my headset microphone (strangely though, I can't capture that AI voice using FRAPS when producing a video). The AI voice in this program spoils the 'reality' effect.

Another program that I like very much doesn't allow me to communicate via a microphone - only by pressing keys linked to a pop-up selection menu. The human voices and accents of the AI controllers and pilots are varied but still limited (there are some extra voices available separately but difficult to find): Mostly, though, the voices are British in origin and that spoils the effect when flying outside Britain (other accents are there but I would like to hear my own voice, not someone else's when I speak either via pressing keys or via mic). You're own voice is simulated with an AI audio voice, as in FSX itself.

There is another program that is outdated (since FS 2002) but has a work-around add-on utility that allows it to function, With this program you have a range of responses for each segment of the flight (I have to have printed sheets on hand showing the correct responses because there are quite a lot). This program is a bit clunky and you have to go through hoops before it will work properly, and even then some functions no longer work). The upside with this program is that it has a very good international selection of voices that are real voices, not computer generated robotic AI. You can't use a microphone to communicate, however and your voice is still someone else's.

So my wish is for a program that will give us two-way voice communication with ATC (and even other AI pilots as an extra wish) with human voices, not robotic voice files, and with more variance in accents.

If we can send rockets into space and have spacecraft dock with the International Space Station etc. without human intervention we should be able to produce a program like this. Perhaps a university student may like to take it on as a project toward his graduation exams, or a current developer take up the challenge. It may even have a spin-off benefit for flight schools.

There are apparently limitations with FSX but if we could find the way to link a stand-alone program (for instance) with FSX then we might see it hit the shelves in my life-time (which unfortuantely is short).

Regards,

John G

::)

Thanks, Ken, for the two links.

Pointsoft seems to be more for the tube liner pilots.

Does anyone have any practical experience with voxatc?

- Is it reasonable for the low-and-slow flying I do most of the time?

- Does voxatc also simulate other planes and the radio talking on uncontrolled airstrips?

- Will there be any conflicts with the new Orbx-AI-traffic?

Kathy,

I have VOXATC and used it off and on for many years but I have problems with it at the moment (also I can't record the ATC voice when making videos - annoying). I have a few voice files although I can't remember where I bought them it was so long ago. Can you tell me where I can go for these, please?

Regards,

John G

I'll answer my own question. I downloaded the trial IVONA program and the 2 included voices installed automatically into VOXATC. They work great. I may go ahead and buy the IVONA program with more voices.

I would still like to see a better base ATC program that uses voice to communicate though.

John G

Archived