Windows 7 FSX cfg file location

gredes

Hi I reciently upgraded to a new computer running Windows 7 (64bit) I cant find the Fsx cfg folder.Can someone point me in the right direction.I thought it should be c:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX. There is a scenery cfg file and other stuff but no Simm Objects and fsx cfg etc. where is it?

I have had a lot of issues with it comming up FSX has stopped working and this program will close. I have no idea why. I have loaded a lot of the orbx files etc and it works some of the time and then next time I load somthing the same warning appears and it shuts down.Usually it is as it loads after you set an airport and click fly. The load takes for ever and shuts down as it reaches 100% I set it back to FSX default and it happened again, so that indicates its something within the Flight Sim its self. I did a system restore and got it working but I am not game to finish loading scenery etc Any ideas.

Hi

fsx.cfg is under your User account folder, not C:\Program Data

%AppData%\Microsoft\FSX <- Copy and paste this to the address bar.

The Vista x86 (32 bit) UIAutomationCore.dll file just placed in your main FSX folder (nowhere else) is known to cure most "Click" issues.

Also FSUIPC from Pete Dowson solves many other problems.

Cheers.

Just go to the Start button the the taskbar, in the search programs and files box type FSX.cfg and press enter. Right click on the file in the list and select 'open file location'. That will show you where it is and allow you to open it. Much quicker than messing with opening multiple folders via explorer.

Depending on what drive you located FSX on, Make sure you unhide files & folders to see this string...

C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg

Rick

Thank you very much, I now know where to find the cfg file. It was there, I wouldnt have looked in roaming.

Hi

fsx.cfg is under your User account folder, not C:\Program Data

%AppData%\Microsoft\FSX <- Copy and paste this to the address bar.

The Vista x86 (32 bit) UIAutomationCore.dll file just placed in your main FSX folder (nowhere else) is known to cure most "Click" issues.

Also FSUIPC from Pete Dowson solves many other problems.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info about the UIAutomonationCore.dll. When I started looking for information about this file I found that I am not the only one having issues with Windows 7 FSX crashes. Have a look at this it makes for interesting reading. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/win-7-64-bit-fsx-fatal-error-ctd-restart/14fc20fa-9dca-465b-be42-146414087ec5

Hello Gredes

I've seen that post some time ago. But the suggestion to remove the UIAutomationCore.dll from the system folders is not the most appropriate. Some applications use it and rely on its presence, one of them being Visual Studio and some of the .Net frameworks.

Not going into details, but applications always use the “closest path†to the dll's they need; unless instructed otherwise in code.

Best solution is to get hold of a copy of Vista x86 (32 bit) UIAutomationCore.dll and place it on the main FSX folder (nowhere else).

also, both FSX and that UIAutomationCore.dll are 32 bit apps.

Here are a couple links to the file.

From Paul J over at AVSIM (Better version)

From Kosta's Guide Menu Crashes and Fix AKA UIAutomationCore.dll -Fix

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thank you for the info about the UIAutomationCore.dll file.

I followed the link and loaded it into my FSX root folder. I have reinstalled everything again and I thought the matter was solved. WRONG after a great start it has appeared again. I am reluctanf to delete windows files as the original post suggests, plus I dont understand the entry he has posted. Unless someone has any better ideas it looks as though I may have to live with it. I seems fairly random so maybe it might be managable.

Windows 7 has some catches regarding compatibility with older programs, I am finding out. Some aircraft installs have proved an issue. Also when I start FSX it comes up with a message that it has changed the color scheme of Windows 7 back to Basic. The airport textures and such, dont seem as good as I would have thought they could be. A bit disapointing considering that I have a new ubute set up, that should be really good in that regard.

SUGGESTIONS ON ANY of these issues would be appreciated. Thanks for the help so far.

"Also when I start FSX it comes up with a message that it has changed the color scheme of Windows 7 back to Basic."

Happens to everybody using Win 7. What it does is disables the 'aero' system as it is not compatible with FSX. No loss of integrity just the coming together of a new OS and an old application.

Yet another Windows7 issue.

I have been loading various aircraft textures and when I go to save the cfg file it says access denied. In one attempt it gave me a message of I do not have permission to save things and to contact my adminastrator. How do I tell it thats me so I can save these changes.

Archived