Ram

cbird

hello just have one question and it's simple. Is there any benifit runing 8 gig of ram compared to 4 gig with regarding performance in FSX

Current specs q9550 oc 3.52 ghz

4 gig ddr2 1066 ram

9800gtx+

terabyte drive

vista 64 on a raptor 10000rpm raptor

fsx on the other drive

Thanks in advance

Short Answer marginal in FSX as your average system won't need nor use it ( Mine Doesn't ) BUT for other applications that are memory hungry such as Photo Shop it has made a HUGE difference.

I've noticed a small speed change between 4 Gb and 8 Gb of RAM but if I had to say was it worth it just for FSX NO, but for general wide ranging stability of the system then I'd say yes and given the price of RAM at present your not going to loose anything.

Latency and Speed do play an important part.  It is far more important to match the Memory to the Processor to the Main Board, than have fast memory because if the memory has to self adjust this will slow things down.  

If your processor runs at its default fsb of 1333Mhz your motherboard has an fsb of 333Mhz and your RAM runs at 666Mhz.

For an older processor the numbers are 1066, 266, 533.

CPU-Z is a popular freeware tool to check the current freq, fsb, memory timings and such

Only if you overclock your systems (ie increasing the fsb) faster RAM will make a difference.  Not sure if it would matter much for FSX though

Well then its installed and running no problems, Vista recognised the RAM straight away as 8GIG. A couple of flights done as expected really no vast improvment with FPS but seems to run a lot smoother on most things but still get a little bit of a jitter on YMML with maxed settings and around 20 to 24 FPS when Bloom and Lens flair on down to around 19 to 20 FPS. The same over vastelly tree populated areas of AU GREEN but a bit better than it was and i have had no OOM over YMML like i had before with not as high settings. My other scenery i run is GEN X v2 by Horizon, there new VFR London used to be a killer could only use half settings anything above and the dreaded OOM appeared but now on maxed autogen and i dont get OOM anymore and no jitters really smooth flying. i think the extra RAM has cured that now, more flying needed to put it to the test, as was it worth installing the extra RAM i think so but only time will tell. We will see when the jury retire. cheers.

Iain.

Archived