new pc - reinstall / admin issue

johnny

Dear Orbx

I will have a new pc in a week or so. I would like to know if there are any particular procedures to be followed for re-instaling and re-activating. Can I simply delete everything on my old pc and start a fresh on my new pc without running into any admin issues.

Thanks in advance

Johnny

Dear Orbx

I will have a new pc in a week or so. I would like to know if there are any particular procedures to be followed for re-instaling and re-activating. Can I simply delete everything on my old pc and start a fresh on my new pc without running into any admin issues.

Thanks in advance

Johnny

In effect you don't "NEED" to do a thing actually but depending on which way you want to proceed decrees what actions you take.

If you want to move from Old PC to your New then simply move the HDD's as they exist and then reboot installing the appropriate driver's etc for the Mother Board.

You may need to update some things due to what the OS "See's" as a major hardware upgrade.

Or 2 on your Old PC do this,

1 run the Migration wizard and backup ALL your files and settings to an external HDD

2 Install a virgin copy of Windows on the New PC.

3 Assuming you have a similar drive partitioning regime and capacity in the new PC run the Migration wizard and import your Files and settings from the Old PC.

Or 3 do a complete Virgin install of every piece of software you own and use.

Either way there is likely to be some software and Scenery etc that will require validation perhaps.

FSX is a pain in this respect.

A clean install is good but not necessarily the ideal solution in all situations, your right about the tail chasing however when it comes to resetting file permissions and other licensing issues for various software.

This is why I divorce my Documents and User and Common files well out of the OS ( reinstall and tell the OS where things are minimal re-installation required ).

In this way you can reinstall as a fresh installation without changing any settings for saved information because the installing programs will usually adopt and also allow you to make an image of your OS Drive Partition.

In the years I had worked in the PC Trade one of the things that stuck out so often was there were and still are many gamers and simmer's that either don't know or really understand that there are many file areas in Windows that MUST be regularly cleaned and purged to maintain system performance, along with regular de-fragmentation. The perceived slow down in performance in not "Old Age" on the PC's part but largely a lack of maintenance by the owner/user.

Archived