Dirty weather in West Oz

G'day all,

I woke up to some vicious weather here in Perth yesterday morning, and thought I'd give the REX:E engine another bit of a test to see how it stacked up with the real world. There was a howling, gusty NNE wind on the deck with fast moving cloud and intermittent horizontal rain. Lots of cumulus scud down low, a thicker layer at about 3,000' and scattered cloud up to about 12,000'. I fired up a flight at Perth International in the ever faithful Cessna 208B and planned on an IFR flight to Geraldton at about 8,000' flying VOR to VOR - Perth to Jurien Bay to Geraldton. As soon as I was in the sim, the weather was instantly recognisable as what I saw out the window. Taxiing from parking to Runway 03 was challenging, with strong gusts pushing the tail around unpredictably. Takeoff proved straightforward but full attention was required, so no screenies got taken until I was settled into climb. Enjoy the show!

Posted Image

Climbing out and heading for the coast, I planned on about 8,000' but it was pretty rough so I ended up at 10,000' for a bit of a smoother ride. Hillarys marina down below and the City of Perth in the background.

Posted Image

Cruising along through some really thick weather. The new REX:E wx engine does an amazing job of layering up the cloud - it looks absolutely fantastic.

Posted Image

Dropped back down to 8,000' in some clearer weather near Lancelin and flying up the coastal corridor

Posted Image

Much clearer around Jurien Bay, but thickening up ahead again. Will have to get down lower before heading in to Geraldton.

Posted Image

On descent into some more nasty stuff, and it looks worse ahead.

Posted Image

Approaching Geraldton and I was floored by how quickly the visibility dropped. The wx engine really made it feel like I was flying through some heavy weather.

Posted Image

Getting really thick as I line up for the approach at 1,500'

That's it for now - the approach and landing was challenging with a gusty wind from about 10 o'clock, and I needed all my wits about me. Hope you liked the shots!

Cheers,

Derek

Archived