FSX Crashes ~ Shader support?

antonvs

Today FSX stopped working and I thought it was caused by installing KJAC, but this does not seem to be the case [i was too hasty and logged a

thread in the support area, sorry about that].

So I am just posting a general thread in the hope that someone can help.

When I run FSX I get an error msg "Invalid Hardware or Driver Detected", No Shader support. Minumum graphics required is geForce3/radeon 8500.

I have a geForce 9600M GT 512Mb video card with Win7/32.

I have tried rebooting, reinstalling the latest geForce drivers and have tried deleting the FSX.CFG file.

When I did the later, the new .cfg file had the following two lines created prior to FSX shutting down.

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432

So the problem seems to narrow to the Shader. I don't know what this is. But I also don't know what has changed.

I have been running FSX with all SPs for over three years.

I realise that I may be faced with a re-install, but if anyone recoginises my symptoms and would like to shed some light

I would be very appreciative. Cheers Anton....

I have tried rebooting, reinstalling the latest geForce drivers and have tried deleting the FSX.CFG file.

When I did the later, the new .cfg file had the following two lines created prior to FSX shutting down.

[GRAPHICS]

So the problem seems to narrow to the Shader. I don't know what this is. But I also don't know what has changed.

Hi Wolter, yes and it contained only two lines in the new file as listed above.

Today FSX stopped working and I thought it was caused by installing KJAC, but this does not seem to be the case [i was too hasty and logged a

thread in the support area, sorry about that].

So I am just posting a general thread in the hope that someone can help.

When I run FSX I get an error msg "Invalid Hardware or Driver Detected", No Shader support. Minumum graphics required is geForce3/radeon 8500.

I have a geForce 9600M GT 512Mb video card with Win7/32.

[GRAPHICS]

I realise that I may be faced with a re-install, but if anyone recoginises my symptoms and would like to shed some light

I would be very appreciative. Cheers Anton....

Hello sir, your GPU is quit old my friend and it might be giving up the ghost, mabey not. Run this app. and see what it says. All Speccy does is tell you if all your hardware is working together like its supposed to. http://download.cnet...4-75181811.html You can uninstall it when your finished. Also try to reseat the card in its slot. Did you do this http://www.simforums...-how-to-tune-it And Download and install Nvidia Inspector v1.959 http://download.orbm...nload.php?id=51 This is work enough for now. I have other suggestions if these don't work. Good luck.

ps.have you downloaded ANYTHING and installed it? How about an automatic update of something? FSX is so picky. mmph....

Thanks very much marshkop for your interest and help. I ran speccky and nothing showed out of the ordinary [good tool]. I tried going to your link at simviation forums but did not come up with anything. There's a mass of work on that post, I did however note the reference to Memory errors causing false graphic errors. I did try nvidia inspector and nothing there either.

BTW I now remember that I last installed Megascenery MAUI and had not got around to trying it. I have all the other Hawaii scenery and they have not caused any problems.

In the meantime I found this entry at Microsofts KB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925722

Err msg. The graphics card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support. This product requires a geForce3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card. Flight Simulator will now exit.

Resolutioin. This error message indicates that your video card does not have a feature that the game requires. The game needs shader support 1.1 or a later version. To resolve this problem, contact your computer or display manufacturer to obtain information about whether your card has Shader Support and, if it does not, which display card to purchase to meet the requirements of the game. For a list of manufacturers, see the "References" section in this article. To learn which video card you have, follow the steps under “Install the latest drivers“ in this article.

So now it beggers the question, why has the notebook/video card run FSX for over 3 years. So something has changed to make it think that the hardware is not up to scratch.

Did you run the dxdiag? Did you try to install the latest Direct X,( it wouldnt hurt). Try to use bojote's cfg file tool.http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html It will put in the Shader 3.0 for you. If not you can add that yourself to the cfg file.

Did you run the dxdiag?

Yes, it passed OK

Did you try to install the latest Direct X,( it wouldnt hurt).

Tried this, rebooted. Still no go.

Try to use bojote's cfg file tool.http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html It will put in the Shader 3.0 for you. If not you can add that yourself to the cfg file.

Tried this, still no go. However its a great tool and I look forward to some of his suggestions when I do get FSX running again.

I feel it is something simple but I think its looking more like a FSX re-install as nothing else seems to be affected. I don't have any other graphic orientated games that I could try. But I am longing to fly again and especially to try out KJAC. cheers.

Problem solved after many hours of tracking and with the help of my Son-in-Law Warrick. Turned out to be an iPhone app called Air Display [by Avatron] which adds a display driver to Windows and FSX was seeing this before seeing the geForce driver. Once I removed the app and deleted the driver all was well in my FSX world againd. Lesson learnt.

So as a test flight I took a trip in my Caranedo C90B from Twin Oaks to KJAC which took a mere 2Hr 40min. And what a great piece of scenery. Top work again by the crew at ORBX. Here is a screeny once I was parked safely at Jackson Hole.

Posted Image

I look forward to exploring the area on my next sortie.

Thanks again marshkop for your help. Cheers Anton

No problem sir, when you install something (no matter what ) . Even the littlest thing or the smallest line of a certain file or anything that is connetcted to FSX and other programs will do something to our sim. PAIN IN THE ASS. but we love our sim dont we. Glad to help Antonvs.

Archived