Buying some new memory.

Iain Emms

In the next two weeks im going to buy some new memory DDR2 at the present time i have 4 GIG DDR2 CORSAIR 1066 mhz. Im thinking of taking it up to 8GIG im now running Vista Ultimate 64 the question is guys what make can you recomend to me im thinking OCZ or CORSAIR again i will be thankful for any of your views on this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Regards Iain.

Ithought vista 64 used what ever ram you put in, if you have 4 gig it will use 4 gig  if you have 8 gig it will use that or is that a myth? where as 32 bit systems will only use a third of what youve got in. if you have 4 gig it will only use just over 3 gig  have i got this wrong.

Ithought vista 64 used what ever ram you put in, if you have 4 gig it will use 4 gig  if you have 8 gig it will use that or is that a myth? where as 32 bit systems will only use a third of what youve got in. if you have 4 gig it will only use just over 3 gig  have i got this wrong.

Yep, a 64bit OS will address as much as it requires.....

Thanks for clearing that one up for me Gurdy i was starting to get a bit confussed over this, ive read a few posts on here saying that 8 GIG makes their rig run fantastic so i thought id give it a go.MY SPEC AS FOLLOWS, Thermaltake Armor LCS VE2000 Gamers case with optimised ventilation and genuine Thermaltake Liquid cooling system with High performance 120 x 240 mm Racing Level Radiator Louvered Fin) with dual 120mm blue Led fan in the case front.Complete with Intel Core 2 DUO Q6600 G Zero Stepping Quad Core Over clocked to 3 Ghz,Gamers Extreme 1KW Power Supply , Corsair 4GB of 1066mhz RAM DDR2 , 1x Raptor X 150GB WD1500 10,000RPM , 2x 500GB SATA II Hard Drive's , 2 x Ultimate Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 1024MB GDDR3 running at 2000Mhz,  ASUS P5N-T DELUXE nForce 780i motherboard.Vista ultimate 64 Bit.

Yes fellas Vista WILL address as much as it requires BUT I'll repeat what I said, Unless you are running Multi Screens with 4-5 Applications running such as CAD etc then I seriously doubt you will see any increase in performance.

Let face it Windows is SHIT at memory management.

Yes it's true that 64 bit operating systems will use memory in excess of about 3.5Gb that 32 bit OS's are limited too. So 64bit Vista or XP will make use of 4Gb if available. It's also true that you'd really have to be running lots of stuff at once to reach that 4Gb.

However you will get some bonus with 8Gb because Vista uses all unused memory as disk cache. In fact, it will swap out little used apps to give itself more disk cache even if you have not reach your physical memory limit. Say you have 4Gb of memory and 3Gb of apps loaded and being used. Vista will use the remaining 1Gb as disk cache. If, say, 1.5Gb of your apps is deamed 'not used for a while' it will be dumped so that Vista can have 2.5Gb of disk cache. The dumped apps will be loaded back into physical memory at the expense of the hidden disk cache if you access them again.

So ... he with 4Gb of memory has a hidden disk cache that is 4Gb minus what's in 'used' apps in physical memory. He with 8Gb of memory has 8Gb minus what's in 'used' apps in physical memory. A small improvement for the 8Gb user!

Archived