Moving Orbx Scenery To Another Drive

Frambuesa

Order Number: FSS0159013

Installation cockpit error:

I downloaded NA Blue USA/Canada Pacific Northwest from FSS with no problems, Installed with no problems and ran with no problems. Just discovered though, that I'm running out of disk space on the C: drive and would like to move Orbx to another drive. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

1. Will I be able to unlock the FSS download another time to install on another drive if necessary?

2. I believe the install process asked me where to put the Orbx scenery but am not sure since I didn't know disk space was in short supply on drive C:. If I can get by # 1 above will I be able to specify another disk drive for the scenery and future Orbx packages?

I want to inbstall some more Orbx "stuff" and have no where to put it...

Thanks

Because of the way we insert scenery into FSX, the Orbx folders all need to be within your root FSX location. You can move to a larger drive, but you'll need to reinstall FSX on that drive along with all your addons, Orbx included. Sorry, I know that's a pain but it's how it has to be in order for us to work our scenery magic.

Bill, Many thanks for your reply. With your answer In mind I looked for another solution. Something I tried is similar to symbolic links in Linux. The following worked on 64 bit win 7.

I copied the FSX ORBX folder to another drive that had some room.

Then renamed the original ORBX folder to ORBX-temp for safety.

Then:

Open up a command line window

Enter "mklink /J ORBX e:/FlightSimFiles/ORBX"

Close up the command line window, start FTX, and start FSX and

everything works.

After I backuped the overflow drive I deleted ORBX-temp to get some room back.

Did similar operation with "Scenery" in the flight sim directory to get back even more space.

I have ordered another drive to dedicate to FSX/ORBX and other flight sim stuff. Will move as much as I can to the new drive and then back it up.

Maybe someone else can use this technique if they get into a bind the way I did. Better than wheels up landing...

Chuck

Archived