i'm having a white Christmas

martinc

Hiya and merry christmas to all fellow Orbexers from deepest darkest Medicine Hat in Alberta. We're currently on holiday and cruising the winter back roads of central Canada...currently ensconced in a travel lodge next to the Medicine Hat airport so we're getting a fill of interesting aircraft....spent some time in Vancouver hanging around the waterfront seaplane base so i've had a chance to get a close up look at some really nice Beavers...

Havent had an opportunity to do any bush flying yet, hopefully when i get a bit further north something will turn up.

Cant wait to get home and grab NZ and the new Moorabbin scenery, YAY , my home base).

All the best to everyone on the forums.

Cheers

Martin Creely

Hi Martin,

Of all the places to be, why Medicine Hat? I lived there for a couple of years in my early 20s. Sometimes the only things that grow in the semi-arid climate during summer are tumbleweeds and grasshoppers. Nice people and stable economy though. It tends to be the retirement home of choice for a lot of folk from southern Saskatchewan. In the eighties I once flew into that airport for a convention in an ugly, almost square "Time Air" Shorts 330 twin engine. There was such a strong cross wind that it looked like we were crabbing about 30 degrees (or more) to the left.

I was sitting near the back in a right hand window seat and could see straight down the runway as if I was in the cockpit. When he used his rudder to straighten out during the flair he very nearly lost it, coming within a foot or so of striking the right wingtip, despite how high the wing and engines were on the airframe. I have wondered over the years by just how much the pilot exceeded the maximum sidewind allowed. There is no way that was even close to authorized SOP. Enjoy your stay!

Kind regards,

Hi Stephen, :). It seemed like a good place to stop for the night :). Funny place, the streets seem to go in all directions.

Enjoyed it, though. We've moved on now and we're in Swift Current Saskachewan....Interesting pretty much covers it :)

Cheers

MC

I travelled extensively through Canada and the US in 1980 and again in 1988. I would be tempted to move if I could to the Rockies in BC as I really fell in love with that area, well I'll have to win the Lotto won't I

Hi Stephen, :). It seemed like a good place to stop for the night :). Funny place, the streets seem to go in all directions.

Enjoyed it, though. We've moved on now and we're in Swift Current Saskachewan....Interesting pretty much covers it :)

Cheers

MC

Pretty much sums it up right there. If you want snow you are in the right place. Next one you should head to is Winnipeg or Winterpeg as Canadians like to call it. Should see some more snow there too...

Cheers :D

Thanks folks, yeah very cool heer plenty of snow. Will up load some shots when i get a chance to do some post. Hi Mozz, funny thing we're on our third trip here now and each time its like :hmmmm maybe we should move here"...perhaps when we retire :)

Cheers

MC

Thanks folks, yeah very cool heer plenty of snow. Will up load some shots when i get a chance to do some post. Hi Mozz, funny thing we're on our third trip here now and each time its like :hmmmm maybe we should move here"...perhaps when we retire :)

Cheers

MC

It is a great country as long as you don't mind the winters. Best advice to survive a winter in Canada is to get out and enjoy it.

Hi Matthew, indeed doing that. :). having lots of fun in the snow. We're currently in Rocky Mountain House, heading towards Banff where we'll spend christmas and a few days. Had a good day today, spotted our first small herd of Buffalo...still no f#@#%$ Moose. I'm still convinced they were invented by tourism BC to fool gullible travellers :),

Cheers

Martin C

Well all of those years I've lived in Canada I've only seen them f#@#%$ Moose once. :D :D :D

They are there but you have to wake up really early to see them. The heard I saw was in Algonquin Park at around 2 am when I was driving. Better chance to see them early morning but drive cautiously so you don't hit them. They are like Kangaroos with the amount of damage they can cause to a vehicle.

Archived