Jantje lacht, Jantje huilt (10 huge pics)

Guest J van E

The topic title is an old Dutch saying, which can be translated to 'John smiles, John cries'. You say that when a little kid smiles one moment and cries the other and does that time after time aftrer time... Well, those who have been following my posts lately know... I am that Jantje!!! :P

Today I added AffinityMask=14 to my cfg. I did try that before, without any luck, but today it gave me an awesome and even SMOOTH flight. I though about that mask tweak because I noticed I had lots of stutters while looking around with TrackIR and I remembered someone saying AffinityMask could helpt with that. And boy, it did.

I redid the testflight from the last days (testing if FSX would APPCRASH or not) going from Fall City to Orcas, using TrackIR, ASE (even loading weather every 5 minutes!), Shade and also good old ENB again and... all graphics sliders set to the FULL right (only water one notch down). I also saved my flight every 5 to 10 minutes or so: I have some sort of unfounded theory that saving a flight every now and then prevents FSX from crashing... maybe because some stuff is offloaded from memory, I don't know... BTW I save the flight with ; ' Enter Enter which are three keys in a row on my keayboard: this way I can save a flight without even seeing the save dialogue: the screen just turns black for a split second, si the flight is hardly interrupted.

Anyway, with all the mentioned programs and addons plus AffinityMask and saving every now and with those graphics sliders set to full, I managed to land safely after a very smooth flight, without an appcrash, which is quite an achievement with all those clouds in the air! I even didn't fly a straight line but stayed above land as long as possible, making the flight a lot longer than during my previous testflights.

Here are a few screenshots I took during my awesome flight. Jantje is smiling again today! :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well done J and some nice pictures too. I see you passed over Anacortes which I have just pre-payed. Looking forward to that awesome scenery.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks. I also prepayed for Anacortes: didn't even know I passed over it, haha! But this region is becoming the best FSX-region EVER! I never leave PNW, but lately I don't even leave this region within PNW anymore, even though I also have Stark's and Sutton's.

Great shots J, how does one use this affinity mask thingy?

Cheers,

Simple answer: add this to your fsx.cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Complicated answer:

Er... Google for fsx affinitymask [jobscheduler] ;)

Beautifully atmospheric, with a moody overcast feel that goes beyond just the grey clouds. May I ask how you have managed to achieve the grey/washed out colouring of the middle distance and ground textures? ENB settings and/or Shade?

Great series of images, thanks for sharing!

well fair is fair, the screenies look fab J.

now bolt up the tweak case and throw away the keys :P:D;)

LOL Yeah, I just did that. HONEST! :P I made a note of ALL my current tweaks and settings (for FSX and also REX) and saved it in a document for future use. ;) What I've got now seems to be the optimum for my current system. I have to add that in that final setup ( ::)) I only set the autogen slider one notch lower (to Very dense) in order to keep smooth performance above for instance Portland and also to prevent appcrashes (because I had one more after my flight mentioned above).

I just finished a flight from Sutton's to Stark's (after posting in the OP that I didn't fly there, I just had to fly there, haha!) and even above downtown Portland performance was SMOOTH all the way! And I even landed safely without saving the flight every 5 minutes or so: apparently the autogen slider has to be at Very dense on my current system, no matter what, and since I have smooth performance above heavy scenery and no appcrashes with that setting (without having to save all the time), I am keeping it there. ;) I'll post some screenshots from that flight in a new topic!

Beautifully atmospheric, with a moody overcast feel that goes beyond just the grey clouds. May I ask how you have managed to achieve the grey/washed out colouring of the middle distance and ground textures? ENB settings and/or Shade?

Great series of images, thanks for sharing!

I use Shade (preset Day1_default_darker) and my very personal ENB settings (which you can download here: http://www.fsfiles.o.../1316934502.zip ).

I think what you use with REX is also quite important! I have found my perfect sky by accident by using the random theme option: I like it so much that I made it my default sky. Here all my REX settings:

Skies: Contrived, Cold blue, Newfoundland

Clouds: Cumulus Set 21, Cirrus Set 21

Inland: Deep blue eyes

Ocean: Ocean blue

Tropical: Color me beautiful

Water animation: Sparkling

Sun: Realistic Sun (and the rest is on Default (Landing lights at Neutral)

I do not install the REX Runway en Airport textures (I use FTX Aero for those). EDIT And also quite important (I think): I set REX to use the lowest possible resolution for everything: I don't like HD clouds at ALL.

But I guess a huge role for the atmosphere is being played by ASE... I used real weather and it's GREAT real weather over there, so it seems! ;)

EDIT I tried to save the weather to a file in ASE, but I don't understand at ALL how that works... If I load a saved file, nothing seems to happen, not in ASE and not in FSX... I can't make ANY sense of it... I did see however that I had automatic downloads enabled but also 'Force to sim time' and my default sim time is August 13th, 2011, time 16.00 hrs. So maybe when you set that same date and time and also ASE to Force to sim time you might get this weather too...

I never really understood how ASE works, really: very confusing program. I also don't know if ASE automatically tracks where you are in the FSX world: the WS config screen usually shows an airport I am not even near at... And when I press refresh usually nothing happens...? I only know the weather is different in FSX than the weather in my default FSX flight... Odd...

In the meantime I FINALLY figured out how ASE works...! First of all, I had Prevent Cloud Redraws enabled and that option prevents clouds from changing at once when you load new weather. Secondly, I found out that the weather files I saved up to now, all were the exact same...! When you save the weather in ASE, you actually save the date and time and ASE simply loads that weather from the internet (just like historical weather). So while I thought I had saved various weathers, I simply saved the same weather on various locations but all from the same dat (my sim time)... if you know what I mean.

Anyway, if you want to see the same kind of weather as on my screenshots from today, set your sim to August 8, 2011, 16:00 and enable Force to sim time in ASE. Or use the Historical option to load that weather. Or simply load the wx file froim this zip into ASE: http://www.fsfiles.o.../1316952773.zip ! :)

Archived