Looking for Speedy Tourer.

warwickm

Guest J van E

I am also in the market for a fast GA: right now the Katana is the only addon plane I have installed. I also think the Orbx Lancair is the only good option... All others aren't as fast or simply not as good (so I understand). Although nothing compares to (system etc, of) the Katana.

Problem is that I am also thinking about getting the 737NGX... Both is too much right now.

I have a few favorites in my hanger for this sort of thing.

Carenado Bonanza F33 and the Carenado Cessna Turbo Centurion both cruise around the 160 knots mark and are visually stunning and detailed high def planes for FSX. The Bonanza is a low wing and the Centurion is a high wing. Read some reviews on them. See some Youtube.

Unfortuinately there are almost no planes with systems neeeding managment like the Aerosoft Katana 4X model or the A2A J3 Cub. But quality wise, those two Carenado birds fit your mission profile if 150ish knots is fast enough and they are excelent products.

Charles.

Hmmm...surprised the Real Air Siai-Marchetti hasn't been mentioned. Very nice bird. And you can throw a roll in anytime you feel like it. Usual Real Air graphics (which always look a little cartoony to me) but great systems modeling. And it's high-wing, but I cruise at 150-160 IAS in the Carenado C185. Faster bird than you might think. Great for sightseeing, with that lower glass panel in the doors.

Also the Rockwell Commander by Carenado. A really nice model. Can cruise at 135-140 knots. Only drawback is very long take-off length in a high density-altitude situation. Not good for the short strips in NRM and CRM.

I guess I'll toot the CH BF-108 horn again. It is classic, unque, with great 'real' systems modelling, beautifful VC, good handling, takeoff/landing distance silightly longer than the J-3 but it also cruises around 140 kits....it also can handle night/IFR which is also a lmiitation of the J-3. The 108's drawback is you have to fly it the whole time....no autopilot...like the real one...so really long flights will require some patience :)

The Lancair is a great choice tho she is a little bit of a runway hog as it is in real life. If you can hnadle a Twin the Real Air Turbine duke is a great alternative as it is about as fast as the Lanc with takeoff/land comparible to typical light GA singles. The T Duke's drawback is visibility from the cockpit with those BIG engines on the wings blocking your side view LOL

The SF-260 is a great plane, very versitile, tho not exactly an STOL airplane :) Lots of good choices above too.

Posted Image

The Carenado 210 might be a good choice also...or just wait for their 337 :)

Thanks for your suggestions Guys,

I had a look at the Orbx Lancair and Carenado Rockwell Commander but they do not do it for me. They seem to be great planes but don't appeal.

The Classic Hangar BF-108 Taifun does though. It is different & seems to have a bunch of character,

So I will be getting that sometime this weekend.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Warwick

I think you've talked me into the Taifun. I love me some classic prop! :-)

Is there a way to get it in the US (or other than from CH directly)? If not, that's fine. It's just that CH requires setting up an account to purchase, and I get tired of setting up so many accounts.

I think you've talked me into the Taifun. I love me some classic prop! :-)

Is there a way to get it in the US (or other than from CH directly)? If not, that's fine. It's just that CH requires setting up an account to purchase, and I get tired of setting up so many accounts.

It is also at Simmarket and Flightsim Pilotshop

http://secure.simmarket.com/classics-hangar-messerschmitt-bf-108-b-taifun.phtml

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3254

Cheers

TJ

Hi warwick - you should consider the Carenado T210M. High wing (better view of ground), but fairly fast, mine will do around 190 ktas at 10,000 ft. Integrates easily with RXP stuff if you have that (3d knobs too yay)

I also love the lancair, but it's really slippery, and not really suited for short grass strips or looking out the window, it's meant to go crazy fast.

TBH I dont consider Carenado planes much anymore, as there are only so many samey Cessnas you can buy.

I was also very disappointed with the Cockpit in the last Carenado I bought (C185). It was not much better than the 206 ported over from FS9

Although I will admit to be looking forward to their Skymaster.

Cheers

Warwick

TJ, finally got around to downloading the Taifun today and just wanted to thank you for continually mentioning it until I had to buy it! :-)

What a great plane! Fly fast (relatively...for a 30's airplane) and land slow! And what eccentric and fun controls (I actually prefer manipulating the VC controls over using my quadrant on this bird...too much fun cranking that gear lever or spinning the flaps wheel!). FM is great (very realistic torque effect). VC is fantastic. Do you have the DM-WAQ skin? I highly recommend it. The screenshots on CH don't do this bird justice. The wings have a wonderful reflectivity when flying. I have Carenado's C185 and have always enjoyed it for the fast bush plane that it is, but have never really gotten into the Bonanza (and don't even want any of the twins). But this is my favorite cross-country plane now! The A2A for local flying, and the BF-108 for heading somewhere. What a pair of classics!

Makes me want one of these in RL! I'd trade my Chief for one!

Glad you are enjoying the airplane, it is certainly one of my favorites. :) The Taifun definitely fits the bill for a great classic GA touring plane. For me it has a similar atmosphere to riding in a vintage Mercedes. Mathias is working on some passengers for it in a future update.

Posted Image

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8epCbxY3dE

TBH I dont consider Carenado planes much anymore, as there are only so many samey Cessnas you can buy.

I was also very disappointed with the Cockpit in the last Carenado I bought (C185). It was not much better than the 206 ported over from FS9

Although I will admit to be looking forward to their Skymaster.

Cheers

Warwick

Neither did I after I bought their F33.... but the 210 is really a step ahead - they've used more 3d gauges/knobs and with the 3d RXP integration you're good to go. Plus the fde is really close right out of the box with the 210.

• 4 weeks later...

The 108's drawback is you have to fly it the whole time....no autopilot...like the real one...so really long flights will require some patience :)

Hello everyone,

it's not documented, but when you hit the Z key in the "IFR light" variants you get a keep-course-and-altitude kind of AP.

This is of course not historically accurate but should help aiding those long armchair flights.

Archived