Sierra from Bunbury to Jandakot

G'day all,

Well, this is a big one for me as it marks my 1,000th post on the ORBX forums in just over a year of being a part of this big happy family :P. For this set of pics I'm going local. I've been really impressed by some of the other posts lately showing flights around the southwest of my home state, and today was such a picture-postcard perfect day for flying over here I thought I'd do a nice slow flight up to Perth from Bunbury along the coast, in real time and with real weather. I had a most enjoyable time as always, puttering along watching the beautiful AU Blue scenery peel away beneath me as the afternoon dissolved into a splendid evening. I originally planned to do this flight in the Katana, but my system really struggles with that superb aircraft and crashes are frequent. I love flying it, but I didn't want to risk a CTD while I had some time to actually enjoy some flying, so it was back to another of my favourite low'n'slow aircraft - Ant's Tecnam Sierra. Sit back, grab your beverage of choice (I'm sipping on a fine Margaret River red, myself) and enjoy the flight...

Posted Image

Parked up outside the Bunbury Aero Club, doing my prestarts while the Mrs plays co-pilot (ie: Sit down, don't touch anything). After a day at wineries around Capel, I'm not sure I should leave her in the cockpit unattended...

Posted Image

Finally off, a smooth and easy takeoff from Runway 07 into a gentle 10kn ESE breeze. Bye bye Aero Club!

Posted Image

TOC at 6,000' and cruising up the coast, leaving the Leschenault Inlet behind us and crossing the southern end of Lake Preston.

Posted Image

Cruising North, looking up Lake Preston, across the chain lakes and onto Lake Clifton, beyond which lies the Harvey Estuary and Peel Inlet.

Posted Image

Getting on towards sunset over the southern end of the Harvey Estuary.

Posted Image

Over the city of Mandurah, with the Mandurah Estuary below. I normally avoid Mandurah like the plague, thank goodness for the highway bypass. But I figure I'm at a safe altitude here and unlikely to get sucked into the mire of Southern Bogan Culture.

Posted Image

How's the serenity? Another gorgeous REX sunset.

Posted Image

Looking over Warnbro Sound towards Point Peron and Garden Island. You can just make out the causeway. Nearly time to make a turn towards Jandakot, there's a bit of a haze layer I'm about to sink through.

Posted Image

Keeping an eye on some local traffic that I'm following in, in this case a Beech Baron also headed to Jandakot.

Posted Image

Ducking below the haze and looking across Cockburn Sound and Garden Island. In the foreground is the Kwinana Grain loading terminal. Ahead lies Henderson and Fremantle.

Posted Image

Making my turn at the Henderson shipyards. You can see the big Austal Ships workshops and harbour just this side of Woodman Point.

Posted Image

All lined up on final for Runway 120 at Jandakot after that Beech Baron ahead of me has vacated the runway.

Posted Image

Vacating the runway and having a quick look at the Tower.

Posted Image

Taxiing past the Royal Aero Club enroute to parking. At this point I have to restrain my (slightly tipsy) wife from trying to get the dude on the roof's attention.

Posted Image

All parked up and tied down for the night. Time to go home and crack open a bottle of Capel Vale. And put the Mrs to bed.

Hope you enjoyed, as always I welcome input and comments!

Cheers Folks, here's to the next 1,000.

Derek

congrats derek on your thousand post!well thats awesome mate,and love your screenies too,and wat make them even better is its my home town,and use to work arround cockburn,and lived near jandakot airport too.

Nice one mate, and congrats on the milestone.

I hope in the next iteration we can have places like Preston Beach and Biningup on that run down the coast.

Did it in a r/w C172 (BEZzie) out of Air Australia at YPJT a couple of years ago on a perfect spring day. An awesome flight.

Cheers and thanks for sharing,

Thanks again folks!

For the locals, yeah this is a great flight - I do it a lot. Plenty of sights to see. I also do a lot from Cunderdin, flying down to Narrogin and beyond visiting all the SW farming towns. Look forward to the OZx inclusion of Augusta Airfield!!

Cheers,

Derek

Archived