2 HD and 2 OS boot up question

Turnip

I set up another HD for XP. I now have VISTA on one and XP on another. I have been going into the BIOS to select which HD I want to boot from. Is there a better way to select the HD I want to boot from without having to go into the BIOS?

Hey Turnip,

My computer is used for work as well as flight sim and games etc, so i have several operating system hard disks for different purposes. I have a couple of caddies setup on SATAII, and each OS hard disk sits in it's own caddy tray, this way i just slide into the cady which ever OS tray i want to boot from. Really simple, cheap and very effective. This way when i need to work i put the work OS disk in the caddy, if i want to go on flight sim all i do is shut the computer down, pull out the work OS tray and slide in the flight sim OS tray then power back up.

hope this helps mate.

Russ.

Thx Russ.  I was wondering if there was a setup in the BIOS or something that would offer a choice on boot up. ie: select A or B to boot so that I wouldn't have to enter the BIOS. Or maybe a WINDOWS app that gives you a choice.

If you install XP and Vista on the Same HD you can easily select whis OS you want to boot BUT you WILL end up running into many permission error's, you can enter the bios to select which HD to boot from which is good, tedious but works well.

You can also use a boot loader ie the text file in the root of your C:\ alternately have your second HD in a carrier and if like my Main board it will boot from SATA drives in order.

Archived