2 feet STOL

Boogus

The closest you will get to doing that in an airliner would be with a Dash 8. But not quite as short as that. The Dash 8 is built by the same people and in the same factory that built the Beaver, Otter, Twin Otter and Buffalo aircraft. It has some of the STOL know how put into it.

I love those STOL bush planes though :D

The closest you will get to doing that in an airliner would be with a Dash 8. But not quite as short as that. The Dash 8 is built by the same people and in the same factory that built the Beaver, Otter, Twin Otter and Buffalo aircraft. It has some of the STOL know how put into it.

I love those STOL bush planes though :D

The Twin Otter and Islander should both be able to do better than the Dash 8. Here's a great Twin Otter landing:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMlgc1saHs

and a takeoff:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMQAaEFkow&feature=player_embedded

Granted, this one is being helped by a nice head wind, but Twin Otters are well known for their great STOL capabilities.

Great Video's B)

I always considered the Dash8 to be a scaled up airliner version of the Buffalo or Twin Otter. The major airliners don't fly them into the bush however their are a few operators flying them into remote areas in Northern Canada like Air Creebec, Air Labrador, Arctic Sunwest...etc. Operators like that would be really pushing the limits in STOL in those remote northern Canadian airstrips. Their are also a few operators in Africa, South America & Caribean.

If you ever find yourself in Toronto the factory is in Downsview and they have a great museum that is located on the former factory floor where they built the original Beaver and Otter. Production of the Dash8 is just next door in a newer building.

Cheers :D

If you ever find yourself in Toronto the factory is in Downsview and they have a great museum that is located on the former factory floor where they built the original Beaver and Otter. Production of the Dash8 is just next door in a newer building.

I've wanted to go to Downsview to watch some test flights...it sounds like I'd enjoy the museum as well. I've been a big fan of the Twin Otter ever since I started flying it in FS - then became a bigger fan when I flew it in the real world between SXM and SBH :)

Good vids here.

I love the performance of these aircraft. The Twin Otter does such a good job in tricky conditions. So robust.

You know how they say that when the world ends, cockroaches will survive. I think Twotters will still be around too,Lol.

Regards

Si

Here is an Air Creebec Dash 8 landing on the gravel. This is about as short a landing you will get in a Dash 8, I like how he just rolls it in:

Good one Matthew

They seemed like they were in a hurry did'nt they? No messing around there.

Regards

Si

Archived