Thanks to the US of A

}SkOrPn--7

We all know that downunder we get taken for a ride and are charged an arm and a leg for products by our country stores and suppliers. Well I just recently purchased a new MTB and decided to upgrade all my equipment/accessories and apparel so I began the long task of tracking and researching what I wanted here in Oz.

Nearly $960 bucks worth and knowing I was being ripped off soon ended searching abroad and once located filled my shopping basket totalling $420 Oz bucks plus another $40 Oz bucks to have it shipped which included insurance and landed on my door step in 5 days thanks to FEDEx.

They say to buy Australian and support our fellow businesses so with prices like that who would bother if there just going to thieve from us. I didn't pay import taxes or GST so another internet buy goes down well again where the consumer wins.  ;D

This country really needs to wake up and become competitive..............

Yes..  One very well known Sim "add on" website that shows its products in US dollars and Au Australian dollars, the difference is HUGE.

The Aussie dollar is about 96 cents US.    So why are there products that are almost double in price if you buy it through the Australian office of this well known flight sim add on website.  We are not dum !

Makes me angry to see it.  One product for an example was $39 US but through the Aussie part of the same website the price was $59 ?    but the Aussie dollar is 96 US cents and has been for a while?

In my opinion, A rip off is the words of thinking of. 

I will always check locally first, in the hope that things have changed.  However more often than not I end up getting things shipped from the US.  One product I recently purchased cost $300 here in Australia.  I got the same make/model in the US for $145 which included freight, after currency exchange.  It's a no brainer.  I'd like to support local retailers but I work hard for my pay and can't justify giving it away when I know I am being taken advantage of.

Aceshigh even adding the GST still doesn't equate to the high price structure and exchange rate.......

Thunderhead I also try and buy local but as you have found out also with shipping costs and exchange rate we are being fooled and if buying local is too expensive or even buying interstate with shipping is too expensive I'm one to shoot overseas with my money because my money is as good as there's and if they want it they can have it. Out side of that order to the USA I also sourced a MTB computer by Topeak and here in Oz it's a $174 bucks but I got the same Topeak model from Japan for $13 bucks so I brought 3 to a grand total of $39 and shipping was free................ Go figure Australia truly needs to wake up because the internet will kill sales here in Oz if things don't change.

Hate to say it guys but when I bought my last two (one blew up) matrox triple head2go units I paid about 300 and something but the comparable product here was 500.

Had it shipped from Florida (over Xmas) and it arrived here Fedex within 4...yes 4 days.

Hard to beat, ain't it. I always check them out when buying hardware!

MTB = Mountain bike and a MTB Computer is a on-board computer that measures heart rate,speed,cadence,distance etc giving the rider feed back to performance while cycling. 

And here I was thinking it was a Motor Torpedo Boat  ;D

maxter I wish it was but I have blown this months budget on toys so the Motor Torpedo Boat might just have to wait.....

@tennyson/ymhb_flyer I hear you both and it's also a known fact that in the car industry very little money is made on sales of cars it's the spare parts market that pulls in the $$$ and even in that area we are being taken for a ride and fooled. If people are scared of buying over the net don't be just do some research and set-up a dedicated credit account for such purpose where you can transfer funds for the amount in the basket and use common sense in all areas including security.

Don't be afraid to shop offshore your money is just as valued and to be honest I find offshore dealings allot smoother and operators willing to go the extra mile to help than they are in Oz. (Not always there are exceptions and very good retailers here in Oz but there are many not willing to go that mile for you) One other thing that bites me in this country you maybe chasing a particular brand/model but our distributors only carry half the range and will not import your requests but not offshore they will send you anything you request or chase it down.  ;D

Yeah its spendy down there.  When I was down there from the US a few years ago the dollar was about 30% stronger, so I thought I might find some good deals, but even with my 30% advantage I was amazed to see stuff was still about 30% more expensive, so no deals. :(

I noticed everything was smaller too.  For example I was paying $18 for a large pizza hut pizza delivered, and the large was only the size of a medium in the US, which goes for about $12.  The largest fries you can get at McD's is the size of a medium in the US, for the same price.  At Red Rooster I got a tiny chicken sandwhich, tiny cup of coleslaw, and tiny bottle of soda for $8.  I felt like I was eating a $4 kids meal from the US.  So while Australia is a totally awesome place, as a spoiled American I would rather live here. lol

Hey everyone don't forget the basic wage in Oz is significantly higher than that in the US and as a result everything along the chain will add additional expense. Now as for software and Vehicle bits and bobs, you can blame the Govt and various excise taxes for that before you even go any near the GST.

For my hobby of electronics and Amateur Radio I have to pay exorbinate rates of inport duty and excise just because 2 companies here in Oz say they can make the Trancievers ( Mind you they don't have to prove it  ) and so any imported HF Tranceivers immediately attract 25% Excise 2% / $100 over $500 Import Duty.

No wonder I buy my Photographic and Radio equipment on line, mostly certified and second hand- way cheaper.

Archived