PC 9

Bulldog

I thought I would ask this question whilst downloading the new scenery.

I just bought the PC9 and noticed that there was no readme or any other

info with it.  Now my question is why does the engine catch fire after takeoff.

I have an idea it is the throttle setting but without any notes.....???

Hi there Bulldog.

Having purchased the same aircraft a few days ago I had exactly the same problem but a quick visit to the Iris forums soon put an end to the fires. Here's an explanation from David Brice from Iris:

"Okay, given that a lot of people are experiencing issues either due to the program, joystick settings and/or piloting skills with blowing up their engines..let me explain the engine code and how it works.

The engine controller code runs on a 240 second timed loop from the start of the simulation. That means that it will check for the engine torque being in excess of 93.75 percent (75 PSI) every 240 seconds. If it detects that the engine torque is exceeding the amount shown it will fail the engine and turn on a light effect which is tied to an engine fire effect.

Because the simulaton runs on the 240 second loop, you might find that on some occasions you're 220 seconds into the loop when the engine starts and due to a matter of timing, the engine will fail as it exceeds normal operating limits on startup. This is rare, but not unknown... turn the fire extinguishers on (RTM) and reset your engine failures then retry the startup sequence.

Also it is perfectly normal for the engine to exceed it's max values on startup, torque especially can redline for 3 to 4 seconds. If you're experiencing significant redline times on startup, be sure to note the OAT and weather values as I am wondering if this has an effect on engine performance.

I have received critism because people cannot perform aerobatics without the engine catching fire... The answer to this is simple. DO NOT OVERTORQUE YOUR ENGINE!

When flying the PC-9 keep an active eye on your engine readouts, do some dry runs before takeoff, and note your throttle settings and positions, with correct weights and fuel set as per the manual you will have absolutely NO problem performing aerobatics in this aircraft. It is NOT designed to fly flat out everywhere... it IS designed as an aircraft you need to watch and FLY... With practice and a bit of TLC you'll find hours of enjoyment in this plane."

Hope this helps :)

Archived