Lest We Forget

Jay Kae

This is my first ANZAC day as I have just moved to Wellington, NZ from Canada. It is great to learn new customs in a new country. I am greatful to be able to live here and greatful for the sacrifice people made so I can have that freedom.

I must admit I was a bit surprised last Thursday when people were selling Poppies around town. My first reaction was...Isn't that supposed to be in November? But this is how you learn new customs in a new country, by taking part.

I found this ANZAC info on different websites:

Lest We Forget

ANZAC was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers who landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey early on the morning of 25 April 1915 during the First World War (1914-1918).

Everyday life

The realities of life changed greatly for many people. There were shortages, rationing, constant fund-raising appeals. With one million men and women in the services, most families were disrupted. The war probably changed many Australians' sense of the geography of the place, as many were stationed overseas or in parts of Australia they may never have seen before this time.

Ordinary Australians donating aluminium kitchen utensils for use in aircraft manufacture (Adelaide News)

One of the great demographic changes was the increase in marriage rates, and the lowering of the average age on marriage of both men and women.

The Spirit of ANZAC is an intangible thing. It is unseen, unpredictable, an unquenchable thirst for justice, freedom and peace. This phrase is synonymous with 'The Spirit of the ANZACs' which is frequently used to describe particular actions by, and qualities of, people. However, despite being intangible, the Spirit of ANZAC is a cornerstone which underpins our Australian image, way of life and indeed is an integral part of our heritage. Can it be defined?

Lest We Forget

AJC

Posted Image

Resite the Ode while at attention at daybreak on ANZAC Day, thinking of the great grandfather's, grandfather's, father's and sons. and you won't be the same person.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

And from Ataturk; the commander of the Turkish armies during the battle in Gallipoli – Founder of the Modern Turkish Republic; sent a letter to Anzac mothers in 1934 in order to acknowledge the heroism displayed by their fallen sons as well as signifying the friendship which was born from the ashes of the war.

"Those heroes that shed their blood, and lost their lives ...

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

Therefore, rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies

And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side,

Here in this country of ours.

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries ...

Wipe away your tears.

Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.

After having lost their lives on this land, they have

Become our sons as well."

Posted Image

ytzpilot mentioned learning a countries customs as a valuable part of moving somewhere new. I agree.

I lived and worked in Melbourne suburb of Heighett in the early '70s. One of the things I liked to do was drive out into the country in my Mini Cooper S to see the little country towns. After a while I realized that the little roads into town had a single row of gum trees on each side. Some of them went for a mile or more. I finally asked my mates what that was about. I was told they were planted by the town folk to honor their war dead. Some of those trees were 60 years old by then. It was a humbling thing to drive between them and realize how many real people gave the ultimate sacrifice for their neighbors.

I will remember.

Archived