FSX / FTX on a laptop?

Vlad Maly

Hey guys - this is for the H/W gurus... Have to buy a new laptop, so I thought to get one with the i7 Sandy Bridge. HP, Dell, Asus - all are available here in Europe with the i7 2630QM, GTX 460 or GT5**M. 8 gig DRAM, 7,200 HDs - better specs than my regular rig back home in Calgary. Between 800 and 1,200 €. What do you think?? It should run FSX reasonably well?!

Thanks for the input, cheers, Vlad

Here mate check out his post i made a few months back,

/>http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/22734-clean-crisp-simming-on-the-new-laptop/page__p__196503#entry196503

Im not getting 30+fps at YBBN but with modest settings my laptop is still great..

One that I have noticed that I keep dropping my settings as the months roll on (due to the HD filling up)..

I'd like to know if FSX can be run on its own external hard drive and still be efficient??

Hello,

Check my specs on my laptop on my signature, I had cooling problems when trying to run FSX I had to by a cooler for under the laptop and no problems as long as cooler is running, used to get video problems and freezes, my point is you'll need a cooler even more as the processor your going to get will run hotter than mine I think. I bought the Thermaltake brand laptop cooler for $20.00 at Comp USA and it fits up to 17" laptop.

Good luck, Rockitglider B)

Come on Cushman :lol:

No problems with a laptop . Dell 1720 2.5gz, 3gb ram . No heating problems ,regular defrag

The important tweak is ....

[TERRAIN]

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=2000

I have had the figures as low as 800 or a Thousand . Just put in figures that you feel might work and go for a fly - no harm done.

I post screenies now and again , you can see the results are satisfactory.

However, I have been looking to upgrade for about the last couple of years ! glad I haven't yet. I'll wait 'till "Flight"is released then see what we are in for. In the meantime things are improving whilst some prices are falling.

Archived