Runway cross markings...

A Large White Cross Painted a few hundred feet in from either end and possibly the middle indicates the runway is NOT FOR USE ie it has been de-commissioned.  there are signs used which have a white bar with a crossed line at the ends meaning there is Gliding operations in effect.

What markings do you mean exactly?

For example, RAAF Pearce in WA has them right down the centreline of the 2 widest runways, and ERSA and the FAC say they are active. They are fairly small, wouldn't even be 3m across if I had to guess, and are spaced all the way down the runway.

They are clear in GE/GM, esp at RAAF Pearce north west of Perth.  Attached is a KML file to get you there.

cheers

Bungo

Bungo, the X markings you mention indicate that runway is not in service for some reason. If this is a temporary measure, pilots will be advised via NOTAM. If it is permanent, ERSA will be updated in due course and NOTAM will be the interim advice.

The double cross (++) Maurice mentions is located in the signal area adjacent to the primary windsock of gliding airfields and/or in some cases the gliding runway threshold itself. Camden (YSCN) NSW is one example of that.

Hope that helps, Des.

Had a look at the GE image - does not look like the cross of a decommissioned runway - measured it in GE - was about 7 Metres across - too small for a decommission - at first I thought they were an aircraft - but there is too many? Good question?

To see typical decommission markings have a look at YSCB in GE and to the south east of threshold of 30 there is an old drag strip with the typical marking on it.

Gents, below is an extract from the Australian AIP refering to runway markings

3.3 Unserviceable Areas. An aircraft must not operate on any area of an aerodrome which is declared Unserviceable: CAR 166(3).

3.3.1 Partial Unserviceability. Except for instances of total unserviceability or restricted operations, unserviceable areas on the movement area are indicated by the display of unserviceability cross markers.

a. An unserviceability cross marker, normally coloured white, consists of a cross, with arms at least 6M long, 0.9M wide and not more than 0.15M high.

It seems there is only one active runway i may be wrong but it could have something to do with noise restrictions over the town of bullsbrook. Although that doesnt make sence to shut down there biggest runway. Oh well i am sure there is a logical answer for it

Shane

Archived