New Eddystone Rock

alexf

It's easy with a map (Plan-G).

Posted Image

Left Misty Moorings airfield, my base in the area (fictional) and traveled over water at 1,000 ft all the way. The weather was OK but visibility was no more than 3 or 4 miles so I followed the coastlines and compared with the map often. I had marked the radial from Annette VOR to the corner for the turn north to the rock so I knew when the needle centered that would be the proper canal to follow. I saw the rock about two miles out, right where I expected it to be.

No GPS for me. Strictly VFR. I would do IFR (I Follow Roads), but Alaska does not have many of those.

All these places (sceneries) can be downloaded for free from Return to Misty Moorings (FSX). Plan-G is free too. And fun!

(Note: green dots mark National Park cabins. Yellow stars are points of interest).

Good shots, but you did have me worried.

The original Eddystone Rocks 9 miles SW of Rame Head (in the English Channel), doesn't grow trees.  But the Rocks do grow massive waves - that brew in the Atlantic and stand up in the shallower water of the Channel, or La Manche. There is an iconic photo of the Lighthouse with a keeper at the open leeward door, and a massive wave bearing down on the weather side.

No tranquil scene such as the BC version presents.

It could be sometimes "tranquil" on the Channel (ou La Manche en français ;) )

Posted Image

This is the "original" eddystone with it's lighthouse :)

Like there are two "Portland" cities in the USA... ;)

And the place the "original" is located...

Posted Image

That´s great! - I will for sure visit Eddystone Rock (the Misty Moorings one) around next week some time now - and i will then fore sure use Your very helpful and reliable navigation information shown above here Alex! And concerning "the other" Eddystone Rock -  :D: really becoming familiar with many, many areas around the world nowadays through flightsimming - a great pleasure and great joy!

Thank You all very much for sharing this great informations!

Archived