Protocol US Canada border

TalbotFlyer

I have been flying the Orbx PNW and I would like to know the protocol for flying over the border.

It seems very easy in the sim to wander back and forth over the border.

If I fly from USA Orcas to CAN Victoria do I file a flight plan and than land at a customs station in Canada?

Or if I was going inland to a Canadian Lake from the USA do I first land and clear customs and than go on?

How about the return trip to the states?

Just a question from a flyboy back East where we contend with the ADIZ special flight zones every time we go up.

Basically yes. You have to file a flight plan and land at a Customs airport for processing enroute to your destination. You land at a CBSA authorized airport. The routine is the same in reverse for entering the USA from Canada.

Customs—Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

- Flights from the U.S. to Canada must land at a CBSA-authorized airport of entry (AOE). A listing of AOEs may be found on the CBSA Web site. Designated AOEs are listed in the CFS and the CWAS.

- Pilots must make their own customs arrangements by calling the CBSA at least 2 hours, but not more than 48 hours, prior to their arrival in Canada. The CBSA must be notified of any changes to the estimated time of arrival (ETA) or point of arrival, or of any other changes.

- All passengers on board the aircraft must have photo identification and proof of citizenship.

CANPASS is a program offered by the CBSA for private aircraft entry into Canada.

Refer to: www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

I've not done it for a while, but I believe you also need to have completed an eAPIS manifest before heading South these days, in addition to the usual flight plans and customs clearance at first port-of-call. More blurb below.

Beetling about over the border is generally Ok if you aren't landing, unless you're doing circles around Mount Baker at low altitude, in which case you'll be suspected of dropping bags of dope and will face stiff questions when you get home.

Cheers, Iain

Reporting Requirements Begin December 18 for Private Aircraft Arriving or Departing United States

(12/12/2008)On November 18, U.S. Customs and Border Protection published the Advance Information on Private Aircraft Arriving and Departing the United States final rule. ( Private Aircraft Final Rule )

This rule requires private pilots or their designees to transmit electronically to CBP:

Traveler manifest information for each individual traveling onboard the aircraft

Notice of arrival information

Notice of departure information

This data must be received by CBP no later than 60 minutes prior to departure for flights arriving in or departing from the United States.

The new regulations are effective December 18, 2008 with a 180-day voluntary compliance period ending on May 18, 2009. On December 18, 2008, CBP will begin to accept voluntary APIS manifests for private aircraft arriving in and departing from the United States. On May 18, 2009, the voluntary compliance period will end and private aircraft pilots (or their designees) must adhere to the requirements of this final rule.

Archived