How to Network FSWidgets

BennyHill

I have read of the difficulties that many simmers have had getting FSWidgets to work over a network.

This is how I got it to work. First my setup:

Server: PC running FSX - mine is the desktop with the configuration found in my signature

Client: PC running FSWidgets - I use a DELL Latitude D810 laptop using the built-in wireless for networking.

Network the two PC's, I use a D-Link DSL-G604T router with ADSL modem built-in.The IP Address of my router is 10.1.1.1 with a Subnet Mask of 255.0.0.0. The router is the Default Gateway.

Assign a fixed address to the SERVER (mine is 10.1.1.7) and the client can be fixed or DHCP assigned by the router (my client is DHCP)

If you want to connect the two PC's directly without a switch or router, you must use a CAT5 Crossover cable between the two network ports and assigned fixed IP addresses to both PC's

Install FSWidgets EFB for FSX on the CLIENT and select Network as the install option.

Open the ....FSWidgets/EFBSX directory and edit the SimConnect.cfg file.

Change the Address= to the IP Address of the SERVER (remember mine is 10.1.1.7)

Change the Port from 1234 to 500.and save the changes.

Open the SimConnect.xml file in the same directory and find the Protocol IP4 section as follows:

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>

<Scope>local</Scope>

<Address>10.1.1.7</Address>

<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>

<Port>500</Port>

<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

The Addresses and Ports must the same in the two SimConnect files - both of mine have Address 10.1.1.7 and Port of 500.

Change the <Address> to the IP Address of your SERVER. The example shows my SERVER is 10.1.1.7

Change the <Port> to 500.

Save the changes and copy the SimConnect.XML file to the SERVER in C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username/Application Data/Microsoft\FSX

Start FSX on the SERVER and wait on the runway with the game running (throttle set to idle)

Start FSWidgets on the client and you will have a connection.

I also downloaded the VNC chart for NSW (nsw.zip) from  http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/2362590/ff560d8d/sharing.html?&. It was already 256bit bmp format. Unzip the file.

I used FSFlightMax Map Creator from the FSWidgets site (http://fswidgets.com/shop/ and go to downloads) to create an XML file for the chart.

Start Map Creator and load the VNC-3.BMP chart. Zoom in to a be able to read the airport information on the map

Calibrate 6 points on the chart by placing the mouse pointer in the centre of the following locations and SHIFT-LEFT-CLICK to bring up the Data Entry screen.

Select Degrees-Decimal Minutes and enter the data as follows from the November 2007 ERSA.

Top Left Corner: BARADINE           S  30  57.3      E  149  5.5

Bottom Left:        ORANGE           S  33  22.9    E  149  8.0

Top Right:          KEMPSEY         S  31  4.5        E  152  46.2

Bottom Right:      CALGA             S  33  24.0      E  151  13.0

Bottom Centre:    MT MCQOID        S  33  7.0      E  151  8.0

Top Centre:        TAMWORTH        S  31  5.0        E  150  50.8

Find the rectangular information box for each - BARADINE is CTAF 126.7. TAMWORTH has a great deal more in its information box.

Follow the pointer from the information box to the circle for BARADINE and put the cursor pointer in the centre of the circle.

Click OK to record the data. A BLUE crosshair will mark the spot.

Click SAVE CALIBRATION to finish.

Copy the nsw directory holding VNC-3.BMP and VNC-3.XML to ....FSWIDGETS\charts (you will already see US SEC and US TAC and VMMC directories.

Now you can load the NSW VNC-3 chart and run it in FSWidgets as a amoving chart.

From the FSWidgets opening menu, click MAP, the CHART. Use the drop down in the opened window to select the nsw directory.

Highlight VNC-3 and click LOAD.then CLOSE

The map will move to keep the aircraft symbol in the centre of the FSWidgets screen. Zoom in a s required

You can increase the size od the FSWidgets display by changing the PC display settings.

Archived