cairns wilco qantas 777-200

Oldbar

@Gurdy perhaps it´s not that bad after all. This Christmas I was flying from Franfurt to visit the family in Dublin. After Lufthansa finally managed to find a plane and a crew (Frankfurt had been closed down and re-opened on a fantastically irregular "schedule" due to quite some amounts of snow, so nothing or no-one was where they should have been) the pilot came through just as we were descending into Dublin to tell us that the airport (and all other Irish ones along with it) was closed due to hevy snowfall. So we diverted to Birmingham and even had to declare an emergency, as Birmingham was officially also closed. But the pilot said he did not have enough fuel to head on to Manchester (which - in any case - was closed as well).

Come to think of it, he was quite an outspoken type...

Anyway - we were parked out on the apron for more than three hours, because there were no groundhandling crews. Eventually they managed to find a refuelling truck and topped up the tanks (while all passangers were still on board!) - but we couldn´t leave, as a (and now back to the main reason for this story) fully loaded and freshly tanked Emirates 777 that had been diverted from Heathrow and was now on its way to somewhere else) had slid off the taxiway and managed to get itself bogged down in the adjacent grass =)

So: 777 OK, but please only at big airports ;)

Cheers

Mallard

PS we actually managed to get to Ireland eventually - and now I know where the airport in Cork is ;)

@Gurdy perhaps it´s not that bad after all. This Christmas I was flying from Franfurt to visit the family in Dublin. After Lufthansa finally managed to find a plane and a crew (Frankfurt had been closed down and re-opened on a fantastically irregular "schedule" due to quite some amounts of snow, so nothing or no-one was where they should have been) the pilot came through just as we were descending into Dublin to tell us that the airport (and all other Irish ones along with it) was closed due to hevy snowfall. So we diverted to Birmingham and even had to declare an emergency, as Birmingham was officially also closed. But the pilot said he did not have enough fuel to head on to Manchester (which - in any case - was closed as well).

Come to think of it, he was quite an outspoken type...

Anyway - we were parked out on the apron for more than three hours, because there were no groundhandling crews. Eventually they managed to find a refuelling truck and topped up the tanks (while all passangers were still on board!) - but we couldn´t leave, as a (and now back to the main reason for this story) fully loaded and freshly tanked Emirates 777 that had been diverted from Heathrow and was now on its way to somewhere else) had slid off the taxiway and managed to get itself bogged down in the adjacent grass =)

So: 777 OK, but please only at big airports ;)

Cheers

Mallard

PS we actually managed to get to Ireland eventually - and now I know where the airport in Cork is ;)

After seeing an A380 land at Avalon, I would think a 777 could go anywhere :P

Archived