TV as monitor - what AA Setting when using REX

cthiggin2

Hello folks,

I've been using a Samsung 37" TV for about three months now and I am very very happy with the quality of FSX and the fact I can now see the guages.

My only issue is when I'm flying over water.  I have the shimmers and "only" with water.  I've used REX since it's inception.  Is there a setting or an AA setting

I can use to reduce the shimmers?? When I'm low (1000 ft and lower) it looks great.  It's when I'm flying above 1000 ft and looking out over water that the shimmers

are just very annoying.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

cthiggin

Hello cthiggin

I use a 40 inch telly for my sim and have started using the free fs water configurator ( google it,it's free) and the best thing about it is that there are a lot of presets that change the way the water appears. This applies to the depth of colour as well as its outward appearance. It is something I set before anything else and then go into FSX or whatever else you use.

If you get stuck finding the program post back to me and I will see if I can find you a link.

Regards

HH :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hello Highlandhippie,

Thanks for your reply.  I've used FSWC since it came out and it's a marvelous little program.  REX also approves of it highly with their product.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a characteristic of using a hi-end tv as a monitor or if I need to set the AA to a different setting.

Have a blessed day.

cthiggin

I'm using the TV in "movie mode" which looks best for FSX overall.  "Me thinks" that if I desaturate any more, then I'll lose some visual quality.  Again, only the water texture from 1000 ft and above just shimmers like I'm using DX10 mode, which I'm not.  I have the "flattest and less shimmer" theme for water in REX checked.  Of course I never had this issue with my 22" monitor and I do know you may "lose" a little with a TV, but I'll never go back.

Thanks,

cthiggin

Sorry for the confusion on the "sharpness" issue - it's not a setting for the Nvidia card; it's a setting for your TV that allows the user to "crisp" up an image. You should experiment with "softening" the TV sharpness setting. Another issue might be "moire patterns" that could occur from the waves that are bright and dark next to each other and are very thin lines. Certainly, anything with FSWC or other water tool that you could do to lower the brightness of the water would help. Also, are you at 60 Hz as the HDTV reprate - maybe if you have 120Hz it might help - you could be seeing line flicker. We are guessing on this because you haven't included a snapshot of the problem - but even then, it probably is a dynamic problem that can only be seen in motion. This just might be something that really is different between a monitor and an HDTV. Good luck.

Dave

Hello fellows,

I'll try the game mode and see if it helps - also, will try to take a snapshot to show situation.  Don't have any flickers/shimmers with trees whatsoever.

Thanks so much and I'll report back.

cthiggin

Hello folks,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I'm 1080p - dedicated HDMI port for pc - have my sharpness at 5 - 

Samsung 550, 37".

Again, it's just beautiful will everything outside of FSX - in FSX, it's superb with exception of some shimmers above 1000 ft on water.  No tree/runway/ shimmers - again, just the water.

I'm using the calmest setting in REX -  "me thinks" may in FSWC I need to tone it down more.  Setting "on" the water or below 1000 ft, it's superb.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks so much for your interest, recommendations, and most of all patience.

Have a blessed day.

cthiggin

OK, now to ask you for your opinion on the experience of using the HDTV. Can you/ do you sit close enough to the TV to get an increased immersive feel for the flying experience? Have you tried adjusting the Zoom (+-) factor to increase your field of view some - maybe to +-30 degrees (.7) or more from the default (1.0) FOV of +-22.5 or so. Several of us like the idea of sitting in front of a medium size (37"->42") HDTV with our eyepoint at about the 24->30 inch position so that our peripheral vision starts to be filled. This would be in contrast to a set of three monitors with a Matrox TripleHead2Go for more extreme Field of View and also in contrast to an actual sim cockpit - both quite pricey. You could add a small monitor underneath the HDTV and display the cockpit instruments there and just have the HDTV for the out-the-window scene. Anyway, what is your impression?

Thanks and you also have a blessed day

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had a true IZ3D 22" Monitor that I was using.  Well, yes, 2 days after warranty expired, it died.

I'm 63 and wear only 1.25 readers, however, the 22" was just small to see gauges etc. -

Also, I had several customers that were using 32" Tv's as monitors in their business and were very happy and I also liked what I saw.

Well, after much research, I decided on the Samsung as it had a dedicated HDMI port for the pc, so I went with the 37" 550.

I am superbly happy.  The quality it just great, I can see the gauges quite well and I sit about 30" from screen - Yes, my peripheral vision is pretty much filled with the screen - and with

three monitors, you would see the edges with each unit that's side by side.

After this experience, I would never go back - Never never -

The text is clear and very very good.  Browsing the web is great also.  In most cases, I don't even wear my readers anymore.

My water issue is not a bigger but I'm one of these guys that just trys to achieve perfection.

My only suggestion is that I would get a TV with a dedicated HDMI port.  I go from my BFG 285 OCFU with a DVI - HDMI - I use the gpu's spdif and go from my on-board sound card over to the spdif on the gpu and sound is great through TV speakers or Audio FX Pro Headset.

If you decide on this direction, I don't think you'll ever look back.  For 3d, I still use the existing drivers I had with the 3D Monitor, but I use color-code glasses and it works very well.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to pm me.

Have a blessed day.

cthiggin

Shimmering will be the actual resolution of the screen and NO mucking around with the AA and AS will  make any difference A TV is just that a TV and as a general rule their resolution for the same screen area is much lower than a proper PC Monitor.

Archived