Mt Hotham (YHOT) in real life

Auzy

Hey,

Just wondering if any pilots here have performed a landing at Mt Hotham / YHOT in real life?

I was thinking of doing it when I got my PPL, but not sure if its a good idea for a newbie PPL pilot to try it. I'm worried FSX can make some flights seem easy.

Still investigating it anyway (I dont have PPL yet, but want to try to rush to get it maybe)

Auzy

I've only ever done one and that was a short trip from YMAY. Heaps of snow and flew over the main township probably no higher than about 500 feet. came in from the north-west to the airport and landed from the east. Very interesting approach to say the least as the runway comes up to you, not away from you as most runways i've landed on do.

I believe to be able to land there now you have to contact the airport operator.

But when you get your PPL give it a go, it's probably the highest airport in australia you'll ever land at. And trust me the best time to be there is in winter.

Cheers

Adam

Sounds awesome. Anything dangerous about it though (like weird wind gusting caused by the mountain ridges?) I looked online and there only really looked like 1 accident happened remotely recently (where some dumbass client apparently convinced the pilot to ignore the warnings given of trying to land there at the time).

Just trying to work out if it would safe only a short time after getting PPL, because then I will prioritise training for PPL to get it finished within a month (I only have 13 hours, but I could push up training so I was doing 10 hours or more).

But just trying to explore the possibilities still. If you dont think it would be a good idea for a junior PPL pilot to make the trip, then I would probably focus on helicopter training for now (which is much more expensive).

Found all the details of the airport at http://www.hotham.com.au/index.php?pid=1191

Thanks

If you do fly into Mt Hotham, be aware that the weather can change rapidly - even in summer but even more so in winter.

You will need to get up to date weather reports while enroute and have alternative airstrips as part of your flight plan.

Contact MT Hotham for a final visual on their weather before finally committing to landing there.

In 2005 an experienced Mt Hotham pilot crashed and 3 died in blizzard conditions.

Read the story here - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2005/07/11/1411297.htm

Doesn't mean you can't do it, just be carefull about the weather.

Yeah, that was actually the incident I was referring to. But there was more to it.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2005/AAIR/aair200503265.aspx

According to many sites, he made a decision to actively ignore the warnings (so it was pilot error, could have happened to anyone).

But good to have proper input.. Maybe I'll take up a PPL for now by plane ($13,000 vs $30000 which a heli would need), and go on from there. I guess the main thing to do before going would be to work out how I will get from the airport to the summit. No point landing and discovering there is no transport ;)

Thanks guys. Guess I will start hardcore PPL plane training for the meantime.

Auzy

Last time i heard there is plenty of transport for getting into town and to the summit. Also is you would like to go to falls creek for the day all you have to do is catch the helo that does trips to and from for most tourists.

Also if you keen on going into mt hotham maybe ask if you could plan it as one of you nav's for the PPL i'm sure the school would be more than happy to accomodate. Think of it as experience with and experienced person for when you give a go for the first time yourself. (if that makes any sense)

Cheers

Adam

The incident with the Chieftain whilst sad and unfortunate, is a prime example of how, even with many hours on type and having flown in and out of the Airport many times, it can bight. There is a remote possibility I could be visiting that area soon and I'll attempt to get some photographs.

Sounds good Maurice King. And as you said AdamC, might use it as a NAV exercise when I reach that point so I will be prepared. Even if I get lost anyway though, Moorabbin should be a really easy airport to find (next to melbourne city, so should be pretty distinctive, unless I do something truly stupid like travel in the complete opposite direction).

Will be awesome. And sounds like transport to the summit wont be a problem either.

Thanks All.

I have never seen Mt. Hotham. I had never heard of it before finding it in FSX. But I have several hundred hours logged,as a commercial pilot, flying into mountain airfields.

The first consideration is finding the place. As a brand new PP you probably haven't the nav experience to risk a mountain flight if there is a possability of a weather change. But in fine weather it probably wouldn't be too much trouble. Follow your map very closely and identify any landmarks as you pass. If the landmarks don't appear, you're off track. Decision time! Never just press on and hope.

Use any nav aids you have.As a guide.  There is an NDB just a few miles from YHOT.

Always fly at, or above, minimum safe altitude. Going to YHOT this would be no lower than 7,000 feet.  Always watch where the clouds are. If you see clouds ahead lower than you are, never just press on and hope they go away before you get there. If you don't feel safe just turn aroun and go home. There's nothing to be ashamed of in aborting a flight. ALL weather related accidents are caused primarily by pilots pressing on.

The actual landing shouldn't cause any problem. Just be prepared for wind comming from any direction. Wind does some funny things in the mountains. If you are not happy with your approach just overshoot and try again. If you find a strong crosswind just give up and fly to your alternate. YHOT is not the ideal place to learn crosswind landings.

If you ignore all this and get yourself into cloud, never descend below MSA until you know you are clear of all peaks. Never descend into valleys unless you can identify it first.  Lots of valleys have hills at the end of them steeper than your rate of climb.

Should you do the flight? My general answer would be NO. Get more experience first. I would ask a senior instructor if he thinks you can do the flight. And believe him if he says no.

As a PPL, I mark my route on my aviation map (usually a VNC - Tassie its a WAC) and then draw a parallel line 5 miles either side of my track. I then find the highest point within that 10 mile band and set my minimum altitude to 500 feet above that height and then round up to the nearest 1000 or 1500 foot cruising altitude. I agree with Jack, never push on. My instructor told me the third mistake on any flight will get you killed. Sometimes the first mistake is taking off. Usually the third mistake in a flight is pushing on.

Archived