Hello, NRM, here I am!

Guest J van E

Guest J van E

I've been out of the Orbx-scene for a while, but I'm back now. It's been snowing heavily where I live, so I decided to give the hard winter a try in my new NRM region. Until now I've only flew during summer in the FSX world, no matter what. Boy, did I miss out on a lot of fun... Winter looks awesome! (I have to say that NRM looks better in winter than in spring or summer: I don't like the looks of all that sand (?) at all!) I took off in my also brand new DA-40, which gives you me GREAT panoramic view on everything (specially since I removed that ugly reflection... :P ). Very nice plane for sightseeing (specially for the 5 AUD I paid for it! ;D ). No big fat ugly things that block my view. It's great! The Kodiak was my favorite GA lately but now this one might be my default plane for some time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll be doing a lot of winter flying the coming days!

Guest J van E

How did you remove the reflection?

Well, it took some time to figure it out and it's still a bit odd, but here is how: go the the folder called IRIS DA-40 Diamond Star 2/Texture._VC, open the file called vc_glass.dds with DXTBmp and then open the alpha channel in your editor. The weird thing here is that there doesn't seem to be an alpha channel: it's completely white, so it seems something else takes care of the opacity of the reflections. Still, never mind that: fill the entire alpha channel with black, send it back to DXTBmp and save the dds file (overwriting it as it is). That's it! Completely transparent windows! :) Another odd thing is that when you open the file again in DXTBmp, you will see the alpha channel is completely white again... as if nothing has changed... still, the windows are transparent...

Very odd all in all, but it works. ;) You will have to get used though to the little black thingies that once belonged to the little side windows but are now floating in space... ;) You can see them clearly in the second screenshot I posted.

Archived