Gone....But Never Forgotten

Old Archie

Hard to believe that it is almost a decade since the once great airline Ansett ignominiously ceased operations in Australia.  I was reinstalling my Level-D 767 when I came across this repaint and it caused me to pause and remember what a great loss to Australian aviation this was, and all the fantastic people who had dedicated their lives to this company, more than a few I knew personally, so here's to Ansett, may she continue to grace the Flight Sim skies at least!

Posted Image

:(

I remember that well, I was on my way home from the USA ans they closed up shop 2 days before I headed home, thankfully Qantas picked up the slack to help out and I ended up flying my domestic YSSY-YMML flight in a 747, that is and I think will ever be the only time I fly a 1 hour domestic flight in a 747.  I also flew ansett a bunch as a kid and got to sit in the jumpseat landing at YSSY at least a dozen times as an unacompanied minor, damn shame kids these days will never get that experience :(

..and another airline which didn't quite make it - Compass.  I was cleaning out the cupboard and found an old newspaper I had saved with a 2 page spread all about Compass.  Remember thinking,  how the hell was Virgin going to make it after the Compass attempt !    ;D

Man i miss Ansett, first airliner I ever flew on. When i was around 3 or 4 we flew down to Melbourne on a 727  and I remember fighting with my brother about who gets the window seat ;D

I did that with my sister all the time from YSSY-NZCH  ;D Though, im the 'plane nerd' now, so I get it haha.

Archived