FSWidgets

Bulldog

Hi All

I remember on the forum quite a while back that when loaded widgets had the plane icon

just below Africa. How do you get it at the airport  you are starting at in FSX. It used to work for me ok

but now the icon just stays below Africa.    ???

Help pls

Make sure both of your SimConnect modules are at the same level ..I use GMAP on a remote pc and this was my issue

I am using SP1A SDK at the moment and it seems to work fine. I did have SP2 SDK installed and for some unknown reason it wanted to use SP1A.

Removed the SP2 SDK folder from C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS (the version is the newest) and it worked

Sorry to keep harping on this but I just cannot get it to work.

After installing, should there be an add-on and or modules  task bar in fsx. If so I do not have one.

Simconnect is working. Is there anything else I need to install to get it working.

Thanking you

I just downloaded it and it installed and worked stright out of the box.

I know when you crank it up you have the option on screen of selecting vector or GMAP. Select GMAP and you are away.

I have had no dramas with mine other than the fact that it only works in a windowed mode of FSX (which is no problem) and you must select the little green button on the bottom right hand side to stay on top of other windows.

It's a great tool when flying heavies as you don't have a gps and I find the cdu's lacking in content.

Frank

Make sure you have a SimConnect.xml file in your C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\ folder

Mine contains the following. Without this I doubt it would work (Change the top section to be the IP address of your PC.. mine was 10.0.0.55 but yours will be different.. this is the local address, not your internet address or loopback address which is 127.0.0.1)

SimConnect.xml

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">

<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>

<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<!--This is the section you need to configure-->

<!--Set the 'Address' to the IP of the FSX machine-->

<!--Set the 'Port' to your desired port number-->

<!--THIS IS THE GMAP CONFIG-->

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>

<Scope>local</Scope>

<Address>10.0.0.55</Address>

<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>

<Port>1234</Port>

<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

<!--This next section is required and ensures other local clients can connect-->

<!--The address is set to your locahost (which is used by SimConnect and FSX)-->

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>

<Scope>local</Scope>

<Address>127.0.0.1</Address>

<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>

<Port>1234</Port>

<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

I posted a full step by step approach to getting FSWidgets to work yesterday in this post.

Look for "How to Network FSWidgets"

The post was for the EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) payware, but the principle is the same.

The freeware FSWidgets GMAP for FSX is even simpler. I have my copy running off a thumbstick.

The problem is that most people correctly edit the SimConnect.cfg file in the Sample SimConnect Files directory, but fail to move it to the same directory as FSWidgetsGSMap.exe. If the cfg file is not next to the exe file, you will end up over water off Africa.

Secondly, use the sample SimConnect.XML files that come with GMAP. If you use the Microsoft ones that come with the SDK, you have to turn off the Disable.

See <Disabled>False</Disabled> section of SimConnect.xml. The FSWidgets version has Disabled turned off by default. The Microsoft versions have it turned on (<Disabled>TRUE)</Disabled> by default. If Disable is turned on, SimConnect doesn't work and you will end up over water off Africa.

With the network installation, I run a copy each of EFB amd GMAP on a networked laptop, giving me one FSWidget with my location a VNC chart and the other showing me on Google Earth.

Archived