Multiplayer issues - friend can't connect to my game...

Grocs

Hey all,

Ok - I upgraded my modem/router to a WAG54G (v 3.0) and upgraded it to the latest firmware.  My mate, who I've flown with before, can't connect or even see my games any more.  One my old router I had port forwarded 23456 and 6073.  Even though this new router has UPNP support do I still have to manually port forward?  Does he need to have UPNP on his router for him to be able to see me?

Also another question regarding FSHost and FSClient - can you use multi voice when you host and join using that server / client configuration?  I tested that last night and was able to connect to my own game using FSClient etc.

Cheers in advance for the advice - I hate not being able to fly with other players.

There are MANY ports involved and this can be a real bastard with some Router/Modems.

And depending on what your connecting will require different combinations of ports and preferable turning the piece of shit Firewall in Windows OFF. (This can cause so many issues that are so bloody hard to identify)

FS 2004  6073, 23456, 2302-2400

FS Inn    Ports  3011, 3010, 6809

FS Host  81, 6073

Auxilliary ports Open to my

FS Host Server are  23422, 23432

I hope this helps

I have exactly the same issue using fshost with my D-LINK router, solution was to just use my bigpond modem and just connect straight to computer bypassing the router and all works fine. for whatever reason the multiplayer servers just don't like routers, it is compatible with some players but it only takes one conflict with another user and you are locked out, so the only advice that I can give is don't use a router just use your modem. Cheers ;)

My new modem / router is a combined unit - I can get around it by creating a DMZ for my local ip address but that opens up every port while I host a FSX match.  Not the ideal situation against attacks etc.  I'll just have to keep port forwarding the necessary ports and go from there.  I guess I was just hoping the UPnP would work for me (seems to with other games) but with FSX I'll manually set the gamespy and fsx ports.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Ok - I've yet to test this with my mate yet but there is an excellent site that has all manner of make and model of router - once you've selected your router from the list it takes you to a huge games list (FSX is under M for Microsoft Flight Simulator X) - also includes Gamespy etc as well.  This site is incredible - I have a feeling it has solved my issues.  Will confirm tomorrow. 

Main website is www.portforward.com - but to go directly to the list of routers so you can pick your own before picking the game to configure - go here - http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

I am very impressed with this site.

Archived