X52 Hall Sensor/Donut Mod

}SkOrPn--7

X52 Hall Sensor/Donut Mod

Well guys I finaly found some of the images that I knew I had but couldn't locate them but have since got the little darlings of the X52 Mods I did a few years back.

The Hall Sensors in both the X52/Pro are by no means good enough nor precise enough and this mod solves this issue allowing for a very smooth transition and feel to your flying. Again there really isn't much that could go wrong if your careful so anyone can do this because all the parts are there it's just a case of removing the magnets from the cradle. Once the magnets are removed I filed down a knife blade but any such product you feel will be suited will work. Just don't let the magnets touch the sensors and all will be good.

I hope the images are good enough to explain how/what is needed to be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Before the mod the X52 travels in pattern as shown in the below image in green.

Posted Image

After the mod is completed the image below now shows a more precise movement in green that replicates a circular movement. Not only that but you now have less moving parts so that also has to be a bonus.

Posted Image

Donut Mod

Well that is what I call it and those that have the X52 all knows it suffers from stick slump and can become a little sticky if not maintained. After giving this some thought I perfected it's operation but once again removing parts and building new ones to fix a number of issues. First it fixed stick slump and increased a little tension on the stick so it doesn't feel so light. Next it fixed the smoothness in which the stick now glides as you change directions.

I know this mod isn't for everyone but those that have the tools and got the balls to have a go then your in fro a treat if you get it completed should you want to improve upon the X52 or X52 Pro. I must point out this Donut mod cost some money and if your not prepared to shell out a few $$$ to get the right products then don't attempt this it will more than likely fail.

First image showing stock X52 with the spring tension and centring cone.

Posted Image

Remove these parts all together they won't be required.

Posted Image

You will need enough Plexi to make two circles that is 3mm or 1/8" thick so no flex is introduced. Your also going to be required to cut 2 holes in the top and bottom Plexi plates and the one that sits around the neck of the stick must be a tight fit with no tolerance to give.

Posted Image

Your also going to need a small but sharp cutting blade to cut the high density memory foam along with some high quality double sided tape that is placed on both Plexi circles when finished cutting and sanding to remove burrs. 

Posted Image

The below is a sample of the memory foam shape but don't try and cut this free hand it will end in you kicking the cat. Your going to first need to punch a 10mm hole in the square piece of foam so you can stick the shank of the stick through it. Place on the first small plastic disk that has double sided tape then the foam so it's centred followed buy the larger plastic disk and centre. Press firmly to bond all parts together. There is a reason why the top and bottom plates are different sizes that allows for a greater freedom of smoothness when tilting the stick and the further you go the more pressure it builds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the bottom larger plastic disk stick on some single sided Teflon so the Donut will glide over the ridge on the X52 base

Posted Image

With all pieces together from above now use that really sharp balde to follow the plastic outer/inner surface to remove any excess foam leaving a cone shape as seen in the image below.

Posted Image

Now you have a really smooth action every time you tilt the stick in any direction and the moment you let the stick go it returns to dead centre no more slump and the feel is well your going to have to do the mod yourself to fully understand.

Posted Image

In the image below I clamped the Donut up to take the image so you can see there is no spring tension and centring cone. You can also see the Teflon adhered to the bottom of the larger plastic disk which glides around on that raised surface on the base.

Posted Image

Well that's it no more precision issues nor slump and centring issues but a Hotas stick that now performs in a manner that should have done from factory.

BTW no one needs my permission to copy my images nor perform the mods if you choose this is something you wish to give a whirl...............

EDIT: I forgot to say once you have completed the Hall sensor mod if you find that the stick operates in the opposite direction just turn the magnets over to correct that. Also with this mod your now able to calibrate it to a lot finer tolerances by moving the magnets around on that blade plate and using the software to watch what you do.

Geoffman the top disk is 91mm and the bottom disk is 111mm with a 54mm hole in the bottom disk. I forgot to mention above that you can use up to 35mm memory foam as I used 25mm but any more than 35 and it starts to fail but that is through the testing I did. Also by increasing the thickness you can fine tune the amount of resistance the stick has tension wise so again better suiting it to your own feel. I must also point out that should anyone undertake this Donut mod it will bring great flying experience to a whole new level but this mod is also to be taken with caution.

To do this mod your going to have to strip down the X52 and that there is not to be rushed and use extreme caution because of the fine wires and some of the parts your going to need to remove. You get over that hurdle by taking your time then the results will reward you. If you feel that pulling apart your X52 is beyond your capabilities then don't even attempt this your just having to life with what Saitek dealt up.

Archived